The Race Place

Thursday Trivia

PWJ

30 minutes ago, Maximus said:

ahhh Triton...what a horse. unbeaten in NZ  if memory serves ..chestnut with four (?) white sox ...Max recalls listening to him winning so easliy going thru the grades at places like Woodville (home course), prob Awapuni and Trentham etc...then they took him up to Ellerslie for a big mile race..was it the York Hcp?  Cornwall..both?

Amyway he was the best 1200-1600m horse going round at the time ... by Pakistan 11-Hauani ..if memory serves.

MM

Yes, a great horse Max. At stud he was mildly disappointing. He stood at Diggers Rest on the outskirts of Melbourne (near Toolern Vale) and from 82 named foals left just two stakeswinners although one was Flemington Gr1 winner Forgone Conclusion who won what has more recently been known as the Champions Sprint or VRC Sprint Classic. He died prematurely at the age of just 8 years.

image.jpeg.e52e0a5b3244c0679f2654f519eb6329.jpeg

2 hours ago, ngakonui grass said:

Noel Eastwood i presume on a liteweight so a guess would be red chips

MARSH on count kereru

ROBINSON on Kowhai king

Messent ON bRITTANICUS

Not Red Chips, not RB Marsh on The Count but yes Messent on Brittanicus (loved that horse as a young kid). Another point NG

Just a little tip for today. Paul and Leah are debuting a Castelvecchio (by Dundeel) at Randwick-Kensington in about one hour (R1). Currently $5 and $2.40 worth an each way bet. Named DALE has won its last trial outing smartly at Scone. Paul thinks enough to take it to town for the debut run.

Its one of my matings of course, as was the Ekraar dam while I bought the granddam - a Grosvenor 3/4 blood-sister to Sydney Cup winner Gallic - as a yearling at Karaka (Sir Patrick was the underbidder - haha!)

27 minutes ago, Dancing Show said:

Was the strking mare Alison ridden by Peter Harris or "the fullback" Eastwood ?

I was just watching a video of the Dundeel filly, half sister to Velocious.   She's a picture alright.

1 hour ago, PWJ said:

Yes - what did he ride ?

Actually, my mistake, not Peter Harris but John, his brother and no one has named what NG was riding

17 minutes ago, von Smallhaussen said:

Let's try -

Alison .. Greg Chitty

Tomray .. M Campbell

Sharda .. N Eastwood

Greg Chitty on Alison is correct. One point VS - two for you in total

1 hour ago, PWJ said:

Just a little tip for today. Paul and Leah are debuting a Castelvecchio (by Dundeel) at Randwick-Kensington in about one hour (R1). Currently $5 and $2.40 worth an each way bet. Named DALE has won its last trial outing smartly at Scone. Paul thinks enough to take it to town for the debut run.

Its one of my matings of course, as was the Ekraar dam while I bought the granddam - a Grosvenor 3/4 blood-sister to Sydney Cup winner Gallic - as a yearling at Karaka (Sir Patrick was the underbidder - haha!)

PJ is acutely embarrassed and will shut up and go sit in the corner. very ordinary run. errrgh !

31 minutes ago, von Smallhaussen said:

ok will try

Tomray .. John Harris

Sharda .. Ray Brown

might be a bit early for him but was Ahjay .. Pat Haitana?

Tomray - John Harris correct. Sharda and Ahjay not correct. VS, you now have 3 points

I've updated this, hope it's okay, as I was losing track of what had been matched and what hadn't 🙂 

Field of the 1971 George Adams

Ahjay

Alison  (Greg Chitty)

Angels Smile  (Jim Walker)

Anticipation

Beatnik  (Des Harris)

Brittanicus  (John Messent)

Corrandulla  (Bob Skelton)

Count Kereru  (Maurice Campbell)

Dark Knowledge  (The Peka)

Evenstead  (R.S. Holden)

Frivole  (L. Carston)

Igloo  (Midge Didham)

Jans Beau  (Gary Edge)

Kowhai King  (D.J. Thomas)

Mr. Pal

Panzer Chief  (Graham McLiesh)

Patrida

Red Chips  (Herb Rauhihi)

Sam McGredy  (S.A. MacKinnon)

Sharda  (Bruce Marsh)

Sharivari   (Grenville Hughes)

Tipperary Tom  (Noel Eastwood)

Tomray  (John Harris)

Edited by Dancing Show
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, PWJ said:

PJ is acutely embarrassed and will shut up and go sit in the corner. very ordinary run. errrgh !

Seriously, I sincerely hope no one backed it. I purposely did not mention the ownership before the race but you may recognize one of the owners - M.D. - is quite well know in another field.

image.png.5aa2d37dd9b0bd1083fb0bb149bf8ad3.png