The Race Place

Thursday Trivia

PWJ

4 hours ago, Dancing Show said:

I'm going to have one of my wild stabs just based on this lad's good looks and lack of white  ...  Don't Forget Me ?

Very wild, but no. Today's clue:

His sire and all his sire's parents and grandparents were all bred in France

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, ngakonui grass said:

val dansant

Well done NG. A son of the French Derby winner Val de l'Orne and out of a half-sister to One Pound Sterling

Won the Prince of Wales Stakes (Gr1) at Woodbine in Canada. Went to stud at the shitshow that was Redoubt Park but was poorly marketed and as a result poorly patronized. I rescued him after the place fell apart and he had been passed on to first Akarana Stud and then Bert Sweny before I relocated him to my good friend Heather Page's stud at Scotsman's Valley Road, halfway between Cambridge and Matamata.

He still struggled to get mares despite leaving the Gr1 Queensland Derby winner Dorset Downs (one of only two Gr1 winners out of mares by Uncle Remus). Despite only leaving 35 runners Val Dansant also sired the stakeswinners Tough Call and his full brother Call Spades who amazingly won the same stakes race in consecutive seasons - the Cambridge Breeders' Stakes; and also the Gr2-placed Try and Remember. That's 11.4% stakes horses-runners, a ratio many good stallions today would envy.

I won't lie to you, he was a very plain sort but certainly a stallion that deserved a way better opportunity.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Hesi said:

A whole lot of people whose names don't mean anything to me.

There was a T Jones there, did he sing lol

Haha. It was a syndicate I managed and did the matings for. I bought the dam as a yearling at the first ever Magic  Millions NZ Sale at Trentham. She had a heart problem that mean't she couldn't run more than 600m fast. The stallion Beldale Lear which I selected for the filly stood for $600 at Peter McKenzie's stud at Ohau. He won a Gr1 but where did he win it ?

6 minutes ago, Dancing Show said:

Belgium

Yes, well done Maria. Quite amazing that a stallion who had his biggest win in Belgium and stood for a $600 fee together with a mare worth about $500 as a hack produced Waller's first Group winner - Dunedin Gold Cup - ridden by Lance Robinson. Waller later took Ripon By to Sydney when he relocated. Ripon By raced 89 times for 8 wins and 24 placings. His full brother Earl of Kent (named by PJ) was considered more talented but was chronically unsound winning 4 times. I purchased the dam from Bruce and Maureen Harvey. She was bred by All Black Alastair Scown and family. Her dam was  by Oakville and the granddam was by the Scown's own stallion Rich Gift - good Taranaki breeding !