The Race Place

Thursday Trivia

PWJ

Okay this one may prove tougher. The horse in the photo who was a Champion 2YO, was the subject of a private dispute between the owner - a knight of the realm - and the horse's legendary trainer. As a consequence the horse was retired as a 2yo despite being perfectly sound.

Who was the horse, owner and trainer ?

One clue: I actually bought this horse at a Sydney auction in 1997 !

thumbnail_IMG_0710.jpg

1 hour ago, Dancing Show said:

Trainer Brian Mayfield-Smith and owner Sir Tristan Antico?  

Yes Comely Girl and Sir Tristan Antico but not the correct trainer. Star Watch beat her in the Slipper as she was late getting clear. Keep going....

• Like 1

Don't  know but was it something to do with Smith writing the chances of comely girl off when he said that she couldn't beat Star Watch on a dry track and that it was a 2 horse race between Star Watch and Zeddative.

or maybe they were both having financial problems around that time.

Edited by ngakonui grass
  • Like 1

NG, I don't think that helped. Antico was a very proud owner. It was really that Tommy thrashed the filly running her 6 times in 48 days, nearly all of them stakes races. The Sires' Produce (which she won) and the Champagne (ran 3rd) AFTER the Slipper was a lot to ask. Antico told Tommy he would switch trainers for the filly. Tommy said if you do that I will never train another horse for you. Antico said "well she can stay home in the paddock for good". Astonishing outcome for one of the best filles Australia has seen.

Her stud career was messed up by the poor stallions Baramul stood at the time. She did visit Sir T once and left Helen of Troy who won 3. Red Anchor, Al Hareb, Magic Ring & Vettori stuffed her. I bought her in 1997 for $110k in the hope we could resurrect her but in hindsight it was too late. We sent her to Woodman, Octagonal, Red Ransom, Thunder Gulch and Postponed. 3 of them won but nothing of stakes quality. We sold those yearlings for just under $800k so we didn't lose money on her taking the service fees into account. Just a terrible shame there is not a single stakeswinner descended from her.

We later sold her to Lance O'Sullivan and partners for $40k. She left one final winner by Chianti.She was a beautiful attractive filly.

Here's her Golden Slipper performance:

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, PWJ said:

NG, I don't think that helped. Antico was a very proud owner. It was really that Tommy thrashed the filly running her 6 times in 48 days, nearly all of them stakes races. The Sires' Produce (which she won) and the Champagne (ran 3rd) AFTER the Slipper was a lot to ask. Antico told Tommy he would switch trainers for the filly. Tommy said if you do that I will never train another horse for you. Antico said "well she can stay home in the paddock for good". Astonishing outcome for one of the best filles Australia has seen.

Her stud career was messed up by the poor stallions Baramul stood at the time. She did visit Sir T once and left Helen of Troy who won 3. Red Anchor, Al Hareb, Magic Ring & Vettori stuffed her. I bought her in 1997 for $110k in the hope we could resurrect her but in hindsight it was too late. We sent her to Woodman, Octagonal, Red Ransom, Thunder Gulch and Postponed. 3 of them won but nothing of stakes quality. We sold those yearlings for just under $800k so we didn't lose money on her taking the service fees into account. Just a terrible shame there is not a single stakeswinner descended from her.

We later sold her to Lance O'Sullivan and partners for $40k. She left one final winner by Chianti.She was a beautiful attractive filly.

Here's her Golden Slipper performance:

Thats a great story and i'm pleased i know it.

• Like 1