The Race Place

Thursday Trivia

PWJ

TUESDAY TRIVIA

mystery.thumb.JPG.99a53d28a3d3c952dbf38336f0d561c6.JPGHere is an amazing photo featuring a couple of absolute Champions getting into a tank-load of trouble.

Questions: Where ? When? Who are the two Champs (first left and second left in the pic) ?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ngakonui grass said:

NEW PLYMOUTH

gloaming and desert gold

Everything correct NG, except the track which I thought was the easiest part !

4 hours ago, Turny said:

Trentham

Trentham it is , Tom. The background was a giveaway.

NG, I am not sure what Costello said in his book and I know Desert Gold defeated Gloaming at New Plymouth but this incident happened on 27 October 1919 at Trentham in the Champion Plate. Gloaming (2nd left) went on to win that one.

It is Thursday so here is your trivia. Much harder than usual. The mare in the picture won 11 of her 16 starts including an English Classic contest in the first half of the 20th century. Her sire was one of the great staying influences of all time while her dam amassed 19 wins.

The mare pictured had no less than 8 direct descendants (tracing back to her on their damline) at stud in NZ. One stood at Cambridge Stud. One left a Great Northern Steeplechase winner. Three of the 8 left Gr1 winners and one sired a NZ Derby winner. Name the 8 sires....

image.thumb.jpeg.2516aa20ddc4cdf63f8997b5c5c1beef.jpeg

6 hours ago, PWJ said:

It is Thursday so here is your trivia. Much harder than usual. The mare in the picture won 11 of her 16 starts including an English Classic contest in the first half of the 20th century. Her sire was one of the great staying influences of all time while her dam amassed 19 wins.

The mare pictured had no less than 8 direct descendants (tracing back to her on their damline) at stud in NZ. One stood at Cambridge Stud. One left a Great Northern Steeplechase winner. Three of the 8 left Gr1 winners and one sired a NZ Derby winner. Name the 8 sires....

image.thumb.jpeg.2516aa20ddc4cdf63f8997b5c5c1beef.jpeg

Peter the photo looks like 1902, i was born 1969, my dad took me to the races from birth, so will only know answers from the  Keith Haub'ie days onwarwds.....unless i had previous lives..im hoping (:

i will never search an answer on internet as thats not challenging.

Sir Fleet, Northerly Native

Jockey looks like a 'Reg Price'

Horse looks like a 'beautiful bell'

Edited by mooseman

1 hour ago, mooseman said:

my dad took me to the races from birth, so will only know answers from the  Keith Haub'ie days onwarwds.

One for you then mighty moose. The Haubie days are surely some of the best 🏆

(sorry to cut in on your trivia Thursday question there PJ) think you've got NG doing overtime 🤣

download.jpg.ba11ee635fe926c06b6e1f54b9b3b89e.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mooseman said:

Peter the photo looks like 1902, i was born 1969, my dad took me to the races from birth, so will only know answers from the  Keith Haub'ie days onwarwds.....unless i had previous lives..im hoping 🙂

i will never search an answer on internet as thats not challenging.

Sir Fleet, Northerly Native

Jockey looks like a 'Reg Price'

Horse looks like a 'beautiful bell'

American jockey Frank ONeill who was highly successful in Europe.

Not the two stallions you mentioned

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Lightning Blue said:

One for you then mighty moose. The Haubie days are surely some of the best 🏆

(sorry to cut in on your trivia Thursday question there PJ) think you've got NG doing overtime 🤣

download.jpg.ba11ee635fe926c06b6e1f54b9b3b89e.jpg

Wow lightning...you put me on the spot..hehe

..the flags...the flowers ...im thinking more Ellerslie than Avondale as can't recall Avondale with the flowers

i would like to think its the mighty McGinty and Gary Sterwart getting up by a nose or so.....

43 minutes ago, mooseman said:

.the flags...the flowers ...im thinking more Ellerslie than Avondale as can't recall Avondale with the flowers

i would like to think its the mighty McGinty

You got the right horse there Mr Moose. and with gardens like that you have to be at the Rosehill Gardens though.

The great Mr McGinty (half owned by Keith haub that you mentioned I think)  getting past the Saturdays ''PJ Lucky 7'' winner too in that photo ? 😁 , on the inside there. (unless Maurice pips him 😉)    (best of luck to your Blues 🏆 in the rugby PJ PNC comp too). 

Edited by Lightning Blue
  • Like 1