The Race Place

Thursday Trivia

PWJ

1 hour ago, ngakonui grass said:

ruthless???

No but getting close. Ruthless and this horse were born 6 years apart.

Clue for today: He was trained at Takanini !

On 7/25/2024 at 2:46 PM, PWJ said:

He won 10 races including 5 at two. He won from 5f to 1.5m. Class animal but was overshadowed by an absolute Champion in his crop.

Maybe the NZ Mainbrace was the champion ?   with 23 wins from 25 starts.

and your Takanini stallion ran 2nd to him in some of the 2 year old races ? 

Takanini was my home ground for a while . Uncle Remus the first horse I ever saw live . Jillo a great trainer. maybe Trevor Mckee trained your horse? he might of kicked off around 1960 though. Wallace ?

20 minutes ago, PWJ said:

Absolutely ! Well done NG. It was The Unicorn.

Had that a bit earlier , but found it difficult to write down PJ. The Unicorn the only horse to ever defeat the champ Mainbrace and he did it twice , in the early 1950's. 

There's a bit of trivia  that was a little sad for me was the late Vinny Knight (a personal friend while I was racing in Victoria late 80's)  had won the Mildura Cup with his horse 'The Unicorn' , a very handy pacing star in the early 90's just days before his death. His last big Win. Harness Racing was never the same after. 😪

Here's a photo of Vinny with the Mildura Cup  and The Unicorn from those April 1991 days.  

DSC03244.JPG

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Lightning Blue said:

Had that a bit earlier , but found it difficult to write down PJ. The Unicorn the only horse to ever defeat the champ Mainbrace and he did it twice , in the early 1950's. 

There's a bit of trivia  that was a little sad for me was the late Vinny Knight (a personal friend while I was racing in Victoria late 80's)  had won the Mildura Cup with his horse 'The Unicorn' , a very handy pacing star in the early 90's just days before his death. His last big Win. Harness Racing was never the same after. 😪

Here's a photo of Vinny with the Mildura Cup  and The Unicorn from those April 1991 days.  

DSC03244.JPG

I remember Vin Knight. I think I saw him drive Popular Alm at Alexandra Park in 82 or 83. Seemed a great bloke

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, PWJ said:

I remember Vin Knight. I think I saw him drive Popular Alm at Alexandra Park in 82 or 83. Seemed a great bloke

Yes a great 2nd in the Biggest race . to fellow Victorian Gammalite in the Interdominion Grand Final 1983.

Trivia 1/ Vinny getting in the Interdominion (Aus v Nz)  final for 10 straight years annually and didn't Win one ! . two second string runners won for his stable during that time though . driven by the stable Foreman.

Trivia 2/ at another attempt in New Zealand, Vinny had the hot Favourite at Addington Christchurch in 1987 for the Grand Final , but he (Bag Limit)  went sore and couldn't start.  Vinny a bit unlucky there.

So the First Emergency got a start at 40-1 and WON the Race !! . 😁🏆  None other than fellow Victorian LIGHTNING BLUE taking the victory . little ripper lol 😎.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, PWJ said:

Absolutely ! Well done NG. It was The Unicorn. Can you name his best performer as a sire ?

UPS AND DOWNS RINGS A BELL BUT REALLY JUST A GUESS.

Talking about Mainbrace my late good friend DJR told me that before the Derby the jocks got together and made a plan to attack Mainbrace thruout the race.

8 minutes ago, ngakonui grass said:

UPS AND DOWNS RINGS A BELL BUT REALLY JUST A GUESS.

Talking about Mainbrace my late good friend DJR told me that before the Derby the jocks got together and made a plan to attack Mainbrace thruout the race.

Interesting, NG. Not surprised. His best runner was Roodyvoo who won a Jackson Stakes and a North Island Challenge Stakes.