The Race Place

Thursday Trivia

PWJ

Not answering the question but this snippet from an article about Denny Moroney is priceless.

"Also our next-door neighbour at the time was fellow racing enthusiast Ian Signal, who stood Lord Sasanof and owner-trained horses he bred.

“The best of them was Johnny Cash, who Dad became the regular strapper for and even included taking him by trailer-float to Auckland to meet the legendary American musician he had been named him after.

“It’s incredible to think they took the horse to the Hotel Intercontinental and put him in the service lift up three floors to meet his namesake.

“It was broadcast live on the nightly TV show Town And Around and us kids waited up until Dad got home to hear all about it.

“I can still remember how bemused he was that Johnny Cash, who always dressed as a cowboy, was scared of horses.”

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Lightning Blue said:

Is it Foxbridge PJ?. who sired a few dams of Melbourne Cup winners .If it Is it NZ based stallion? 

Not Foxbridge but yes he was a NZ-based stallion. I thought this one would be right up your alley, LB !

6 hours ago, PWJ said:

Not Foxbridge but yes he was a NZ-based stallion. I thought this one would be right up your alley, LB !

In that case , I suspected he would be a Standardbred? , and there hasn't been a great deal of absolute star stallions like in the galloping world in NZ, so possibly could be  Roydon Lodge and Sir John McKenzie Import from USA.

LIGHT BRIGADE .  I suspect it is PJ? you trying to be tricky with a beautiful legend of the harness racing caper ? 😂

Sire of NZ Cup winners Lookaway and Cecil Devine's Thunder. But also trotter's as well like Ordeal . NZ 's first 2min mile trotter.  

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Lightning Blue said:

In that case , I suspected he would be a Standardbred? , and there hasn't been a great deal of absolute star stallions like in the galloping world in NZ, so possibly could be  Roydon Lodge and Sir John McKenzie Import from USA.

LIGHT BRIGADE .  I suspect it is PJ? you trying to be tricky with a beautiful legend of the harness racing caper ? 😂

Sire of NZ Cup winners Lookaway and Cecil Devine's Thunder. But also trotter's as well like Ordeal . NZ 's first 2min mile trotter.  

Certainly is LIGHT BRIGADE - well done, LB !

30 minutes ago, slam dunk said:

Great work SD . didn't take long to spot up one of the greatest thoroughbreds ever in NZ. Viewed by huge audiences around the world in his day. and a formidable force with Sir Mark Todd.

Here is some of CHARISMA's achievements from wiki. (smallest thoroughbred in Invercargill lol 🤣)

• Like 1

Thursday Trivia - of course !

Who is this bloke ?

His sire was placed in the 2000 Guineas but none of his first 3 dams won a race.

He won 10 races including 5 at two. He won from 5f to 1.5m. Class animal but was overshadowed by an absolute Champion in his crop.

Later a stallion career that never got better than luke-warm

image.thumb.jpeg.c70f66785ad7e60769f7057dfdce2d4c.jpeg