The Race Place

Craig's Music faves

craigos1

Pete and his Auckland Blues are the Highlander opponents for this week. so need an 'Outlook for Saturday' to find a winner and a team Theme song for the Blues lads. 

Here's a great video from Auckland (looks like Rangitoto in the video anyway) with a great little NZ band.

Pete ,Gordy and the lads could be busking on Queens St,  like at the start of this song video , and getting some donations from the passing Highlanders in their guitar case ? 😂 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

37 minutes ago, Lightning Blue said:

Pete and his Auckland Blues are the Highlander opponents for this week. so need an 'Outlook for Saturday' to find a winner and a team Theme song for the Blues lads. 

Here's a great video from Auckland (looks like Rangitoto in the video anyway) with a great little NZ band.

Pete ,Gordy and the lads could be busking on Queens St,  like at the start of this song video , and getting some donations from the passing Highlanders in their guitar case ? 😂 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿

That looks like @Gordy manspreading on the left.

and another passing recently was Herbie Flowers. A little biography is worth reading:

At the age of 86, Flowers left behind a legacy that is as profound as it is melodious, having contributed to some of the most iconic tracks in pop and rock history.

Herbie Flowers' bassline in Lou Reed's ‘Walk on the Wild Side’ is etched into the annals of music history, a riff that is as recognisable as it is hauntingly beautiful.

It's a testament to his talent that this particular bassline continues to captivate listeners decades after its release; however, Flowers' influence extends far beyond this single track.

Throughout his illustrious career, Flowers played with a veritable who's who of the music world, including David Bowie, Marc Bolan, Paul McCartney, Bryan Ferry, and Elton John.

His family confirmed his passing on social media, leaving fans and fellow musicians to mourn the loss of a true great.

The estate of David Bowie also paid tribute, noting that Flowers' extensive body of work over the years was too vast to enumerate.

‘Aside from his incredible musicianship over many decades, he was a beautiful soul and a very funny man. He will be sorely missed. Our thoughts are with his family and friends,’ it said.

‘Ah, damn. RIP Herbie Flowers. So many great basslines—imagine having played on “Space Oddity”, “Walk on the Wild Side”, and “Rock On”,’ Suede’s bassist Mat Osman remarked.

Born in Isleworth in 1938, Flowers began his career in the 1960s as a session musician, quickly becoming a sought-after talent for producers like Shel Talmy, Mickie Most, and Tony Visconti.

In 1969, he co-founded the band Blue Mink, which achieved chart success with songs like ‘Melting Pot’ and ‘The Banner Man’.

As a highly sought-after bass player, Flowers created one of the most iconic hooks for ‘Walk on the Wild Side’, featuring a brilliant, instantly recognisable ascending and descending twang.

Despite this, Flowers remained modest about his contribution, saying, ‘People have often suggested that I should have got writer’s credits, but I just helped put an arrangement together.’

‘Lou had the chords written out on a piece of paper and my job was to come up with the bass line.’

In another interview, he said, ‘You do the job and get your arse away. You take a £12 fee; you can’t play a load of bullshit.’

Flowers reportedly recorded over 20,000 sessions, working with artists such as Dusty Springfield, George Harrison, Serge Gainsbourg, and David Essex.

However, Flowers' career was not limited to session work. Another notable achievement was co-writing the 1970 hit novelty song ‘Grandad’.

According to reports, this happened after he met Clive Dunn at a party. Dunn, a household name due to Dad’s Army, challenged him to write a song for him.

Flowers was part of the final lineup of T. Rex just before Marc Bolan's death, appearing on the band's last album, 1977’s Dandy in the Underworld, and Bolan's Marc TV show.

In the late 1970s, Flowers founded the instrumental prog rock band Sky, recording and performing with them until 1995, when they released seven albums.

His discography also includes Bryan Ferry’s The Bride Stripped Bare, Paul McCartney’s Give My Regards to Broad Street, and Jeff Wayne’s Musical Version of the War of the Worlds.

I only saw Herbie play once, with Blue Mink in 1972 at The Bowl of Brooklands at New Plymouth. Here is Blue Mink playing that number - a rare vid where you get a couple of glimpses of Herbie - and a couple of others to follow.

• Like 1

"Rock On"

In 1973 English singer David Essex released "Rock On" as a single and it rapidly became an international hit. The distinctive stripped‑back musical arrangement was devised by producer Jeff Wayne. According to Wayne, only three session musicians played on the final backing track, and the most prominently featured was Flowers, whose double‑tracked bass guitar was treated with a prominent "slapback" delay effect, creating a complex polyrhythmic backbeat:

"I can recall the three musicians on the backing track for 'Rock On' all looking around in a mostly empty Advision Studios, Studio 1, wanting to know when the rest of the band were arriving! I explained there weren't any others for that track, and I was relying on them to understand my idea for the production. While the drums and percussion parts were written out, it was definitely Herbie that grasped immediately that a bass guitar playing a lead riff could fill a large part of the spatial spectrum and he took my idea and turned some basic notes of mine, into his amazing bass riff. Then to top it off, he suggested playing it again an octave higher. So you get this unusual bass sound right up front – now it couldn't have been up front if the arrangement didn't allow the air and the space to be created that way".[20]

Flowers himself noted that, as a reward for devising the double-tracked bassline, he was paid double his normal session fee, and thus received £24 instead of the usual £12.

The Final team to find a theme song for this week , and it's Captain Jack and the Chiefs whom are taking on the Highlanders 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 this week. could be the End of the Line for their winning streak at PJ's 🏇.

Here we go with a great tune for Jack and Tom and the lads can strumm long too and sing to each other any week Win, Lose or draw. 😁   

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I was at a concert in 1981 at Mainstreet in Auckland to see Icehouse and a little-known Scottish band were opening for them. Named Simple Minds they were as good as Icehouse - brilliant in fact ! After the show I had a mate who got me backstage and I was able to have a great chat with lead singer Jim Kerr, a surprisingly quiet, shy bloke and drummer Kenny Hyslop (who I read passed away last week sadly). They played this song which they said would be on their next album. It was awesome ! Not a chart success but an integral part of their huge album New Gold Dream (81-82-83-84) of which I still have the vinyl. Bono of U2 selected the song as one of his favourites on the BBC Desert Island Discs program. Saw Simple Minds again in Sydney in 2017 (36 years later!) a few years ago and they were every bit as good (see below)

• Like 4