The Race Place

Autumn Super Draft Comp Results Thread

PWJ

Well done Pete.  Think my 2 worst scores have been against you. Don't know what you do to me but please don't help TAB.  Have enough problems by myself.  Hard luck again Tigers.  No doubt Max or someone could tell us but think we must of lost more rounds in last race than any other team

• Like 1

Reality is we have Maurice, cruel but true with the rub of the green just twice we would be well placed. 

Racing, betting, competing we just love it and this comp through PJ is just heaven. 

Enjoy

Edited by Turny
  • Like 5

15 minutes ago, Maximus said:

Absolutely right, old son ...and with three Rounds to go, hanging on to 4th by just one point, with two sides chasing yet to play their Joker, is hardly cause for putting those JG five-shooters back in their holsters  ...

4th 18 James Gang $13,064.40

------------finals qual mark--------------

5th 17 Covid-Y $11,864.20*

6th 16 Hall of Fame $11,887.20*

7th 11 The Tigers $11,607.20

8th 11 Roland's Roughnecks $9688.80

Those 2 sides are probably too far away, and remember, we still have our joker to play

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Say No More said:

A very good point indeed Hesi.   

Today's very simple yet interesting stat:    In PJ Super Comps with a knockout/play-off series to determine the winners, the past seven Minor Premiers have been knocked out in the first round of the play-offs.

The last Minor Premiership winning team to survive the first round of the play-offs was nearly three years ago - the Reds in the 2017 Winter Comp.  They won the Minor premiership and went on to win three knockout matches (8 teams in the play-offs) to take the title.

That's a daunting stat John, I did not realise it was that severe.  So being the Minor Premier, is a poison chalice.

Based on that, might pay to take the foot off the pedal for 5-0

Looks also like the Maxis have been exemplary form, but will it be to no avail, the stats suggest yes

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Say No More said:

An eight or a ten point Joker play would put either of those bottom two sides back in play-off contention.  Will it be Joker vs Joker?

Maximillions are looking good for the Minor Premiership and are virtually guaranteed a top 4 spot - the bottom three teams can't catch them and Covid-Y would need 15 points and a massive aggregate boost from their last three matches to catch the Maximillions.

Five-Oh and Much Too Fast far from guaranteed a play-off spot but closing in on a points tally that would normally make the play-offs.

Crucial match next week for the JG when they play their Joker against the Roughies?

What would you do John? you're a keen analyst

Just a reminder of the last two rounds:

Round 13 (Eagle Farm/Randwick)

Five-Oh vs Much Too Fast

Covid-Y vs The James Gang

Maximillions vs Hall of Fame

Roland's Roughnecks vs The Tigers

Round 14 (Eagle Farm/Rosehill)

Maximillions vs Roland's Roughnecks

Five-Oh vs Hall of Fame

Much Too Fast vs The James Gang

The Tigers vs Covid-Y

I always look forward to the wise counsels, stats, reminiscences, projections each Sunday after the heat-of-battle each Saturday. Another one of many reasons why PJ comps stand out from the crowd in terms of excellence. So thank you John, Hesi, Max, and all others contributing to the Sunday instalments.

Must give a "shout-out" to Max for very sportingly picking up on the extra dollars due our MTF luminary Ashoka yesterday - tipping us into the Team Profit zone and earning us MTF what could be a very valuable extra point as we surge towards Play-Off time ! Many thanks, Max. You're a champ. That's another hallmark of PJ Comps, we all get so drawn into the comp, it bcomes compelling, but, by-and-large, matches are played with fairness, good sportsmanship, and integrity by all participants. That's why when people come, they stay !  I recall a few weeks ago we were able to see that many, many participants from the earliest years of the comp 10 or so years back, are still with us. It's not hard to see why.

An interesting stat ! We 'MTF' have had 2 players within a fortnight score in excess of $550 on a Saturday ...and been beaten !  In Round 9 rising star Zac posted $694.40 (but was overwhelmed by Tom's $873.60) and yesterday in Round 11 Ashoka scores $558.80 (but is taken out by Rob with $609.00). So while MTF are enjoying a pretty good ride, it's certainly not all beer-and-skittles. But undoubtedly more beer-and-skittles than for the poor Tigers, good enough to be maybe the only team to have knocked- off the chart-topping Maxis, but with a real penchant for themselves being bowled the last race virtually every week other than that ! Rotten luck that team which is a very, very good team. 

John's stats on the Minor Premiership-winning "poison chalice" made fascinating reading for sure. Thanks, John. 

Another interesting scenario that I regret I don't have figures for ( I'll dig some out when I get a moment, but no names will be mentioned, that would be unfair) but I beiieve up until now has also been a "poison chalice" is the very  first Player drawn in each PJ Draft Comp. Until this present comp my belief is that most "first drawns" have enjoyed only a very modest level of personal success in the ensuing competition. If this has also been a "poison chalice" historically, then this present comp's No. 1 draftee Ashoka has certainly swum very well against the tide, being an outstanding success, no-one at all could deny that. So that should give Max and his Maxis some comfort in term of Championship-winning aspirations .... "poison chalices" are` interesting, but certainly not binding.

I've gone on too long. Rees dropped off to sleep after paragraph 2 .... but then he's not a young man ..... we make allowances. 😁  

See you next Saturday, everyone. Stay safe and well. 

• Like 3

Interesting that Roland's Roughnecks

53 minutes ago, Maximus said:

It must be a sleepy Sunday indeed when the Mustelid has time to stupefy the citizens of PJ's Super Duper Comp world with more meaningless stats ...

from Maxi's DID YOU KNOW OR CARE file ...

HIGHEST TEAM AGGREGATES / PROFITS   

Interesting that Roland's Roughnecks don't feature in this set of stats ... which leads me to conclude that when a "roughie" is struck in any given race (i) it's only 1 of their 5 team-members who is on it ..(ii) that winning roughie is not BB ..... (iii) only maybe two at the most real roughies are coming in on our allotted 10 race-programme any given Saturday.
The danger that sends fear into other teams in advance of playing the "roughnecks" is that more than on of their alumni will land on the same successful roughie.
Nearly happened to my MTF a week ago - 'Nerve and Verve' - $25+  ; three of them on it - one stride from being victrious. We well-and-truly dodged a bullet there.

• Like 1

I've given up on keeping our gutters clean Maxi, we have so much problem with birds and how they pollute the gutters, that I have all the downpipes disconnected, and when we need water, I pump it up from the second tank attached to our bore

39 minutes ago, Maximus said:

Rd 9 HOF v RR          (8pts)

Rd 10 MTF v RR      (0pts)

No doubt you’ve got your whiskers on an important match up this weekend 

Not quite Maxi maybe if you swapped the above two around

59 minutes ago, Maximus said:

WELL SPOTTED VC ... 
You win Max's game of Spot The Almost Deliberate Mistake ...PM me a postal address and I'll send you some goodies!

Amended And Hopefully Correct Supplementary Research Paper

Could you please post your selections early this Saturday so I can copy and paste

Cheers in advance 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Maximus said:

is this considered a good thing? Relative of mine who lives in rural Victoria had a stand-up 'boxing match' with one a few years ago, reckoned it was out to kill him... nice pic, though

Well it has a mixed reaction. It shows the pasture is making a good recovery from the drought which saw a lot of the buggers die from starvation but very soon they will be pests again and we will have to get the ammo out. Also means one has to be very cautious driving at night again (says the victim of three roo collisions in recent years).

Round 12 - Saturday May 30

Race 1 - Doomben R1

1st - 4 Hi Fiver W-$11.20  

2nd - 3 Koonunga Q-$21.70  

Scr: 2,6,11,12

1 MAXIMILLIONS (1st) 112.00 

0 FIVE-OH (2nd) 0.00

Five-Oh all miss in the Battle of the Giants as Georgy Boy finds the Wakefield winner to hand Maximillions an early lead.

0.00 Graeme 

0.00 Punter Pete

0.00 Heather

0.00 The Crucible

0.00 Rob

0.00 Moose

112.00 Georgy Boy

0.00 Virgil

0.00 Max

0.00 John

0 MUCH TOO FAST (3rd) 0.00 

0 COVID-Y (5th) 0.00
Koonunga would have put MTF two up but no one tipped the ex-HB jock to take out the first.

0.00 Rex 

0.00 Ray

0.00 Ashoka

0.00 Ziggy

0.00 Craig

0.00 Rocky

0.00 Zac

0.00 Porky

0.00 Howie

0.00 Gary

0 ROLAND'S ROUGHNECKS* (8th) 0.00 

0 THE JAMES GANG* (4th) 0.00

The runner-up would have given Roland's crowd a 2-0 lead but no one was giving Hi Fives after this one. Double Joker play will create much interest in this match today.

0.00 Pam 

0.00 Blind Squirrel

0.00 Gee 

0.00 Jack

0.00 Gordy

0.00 Steve P

0.00 Roland

0.00 Pete

0.00 Jen

0.00 Hesi

2 THE TIGERS (7th) 224.00 

0 HALL OF FAME (6th) 0.00

Hall of Fame could have gone 4-0 clear with the runner-up but it was nutted late by Tom and Sharne's tips to hand the Tigers a nice lead in a match labelled a "must win" by both teams.

0.00 Maurice 

0.00 Ian

0.00 Jill

0.00 Midnight C

112.00 Tom 

0.00 Jamison

0.00 PJ 

0.00 Stevie N

112.00 Sharne 

0.00 Robert

* Joker Play

In the next:

Roland's Roughnecks take the lead with Havaduel, Kahlo, Sticks 'n' Stones or Acquittal and go two up with Deepwood Vale

The James Gang take the lead with Ready To Humble or Art Cadeau and go two up with Safe Landing and 3 up (!!) with Leg Work

Round 12 - Saturday May 30

Race 2 - Rosehill R2

1st - 6 Leg Work W-$4.70  

2nd - 7 Art Cadeau Q-$13.10  

Scr: 3,4,11,12,14,16

1 MAXIMILLIONS (1st) 253.00 

2 FIVE-OH (2nd) 334.00

Maximillions trio Heather, Graeme and Max on the Goulburn visitor but all the Five-Ohs bar Moose reply with John adding a BB to lead Max and Punter Pete bagging a beaut BB quinella to lead Graeme as Five-Oh go ahead.

47.00 Graeme 

146.40 Punter Pete

47.00 Heather

47.00 The Crucible

0.00 Rob

0.00 Moose

112.00 Georgy Boy

47.00 Virgil

47.00 Max

94.00 John

2 MUCH TOO FAST (3rd) 120.20 

0 COVID-Y (5th) 0.00
Covid-Y yest to trouble the scorer as Howie (with the quinella) and Rex send MTF into a nice lead.

47.00 Rex 

0.00 Ray

0.00 Ashoka

0.00 Ziggy

0.00 Craig

0.00 Rocky

0.00 Zac

0.00 Porky

73.20 Howie

0.00 Gary

0 ROLAND'S ROUGHNECKS* (8th) 47.00 

3 THE JAMES GANG* (4th) 188.00

Gordy gets Roland's crowd underway but all The James Gang bar Pete reply and new personal leads for Hesi, Jack and Blind Squirrel send the JGs into a handy lead.

0.00 Pam 

47.00 Blind Squirrel

0.00 Gee 

47.00 Jack

47.00 Gordy

47.00 Steve P

0.00 Roland

0.00 Pete

0.00 Jen

47.00 Hesi

3 THE TIGERS (7th) 365.00 

0 HALL OF FAME (6th) 94.00

Leroy and Jamison get Hall of Fame underway but The Tigers reply through Sharne and a BB for Jill which takes her ahead of Leroy and extends the Tigers' advantage.

0.00 Maurice 

0.00 Ian

94.00 Jill

47.00 Midnight C

112.00 Tom 

47.00 Jamison

0.00 PJ 

0.00 Stevie N

159.00 Sharne 

0.00 Robert

* Joker Play

In the next:

The Tigers go further ahead with Military Magic or Edison while Satin Socks or Van Giz help

Hall of Fame can pull one back with Sally's Day, l'Cosmo or Hulk and pull two back with Bring The Ransom