The Race Place

Hastings track

pete

CorporateEmail-banner-9900000000079e3c.p

Hastings Track to Remain Closed for Reconstruction

HBRI (Hawke’s Bay Racing Inc.) and NZTR (New Zealand Thoroughbred Racing) Management have jointly announced today that due to continued concerns around the track’s performance, the decision has been made to bring forward a reconstruction of the track. As a result, racing will not resume at the venue in the immediate future.

HBRI Chairman, Eliot Cooper commented, “While this news will be disappointing for the Hawke’s Bay community and racing enthusiasts, both parties believe that prioritising this project is essential for the long-term future of racing in the region.”

NZTR Chief Operating Officer, Darin Balcombe reiterated this message. “The decision reflects a commitment to addressing the underlying track issues for participants and horses alike.”

The HBRI and NZTR Board and Management will meet later in the month to discuss next steps. Further information will be provided to the industry following this meeting to ensure stakeholders remain informed of the progress and potential timelines moving forward.

Replacement dates for upcoming scheduled Hastings racedays will be advised over the coming days.

• Thanks 1

Always interesting how the racing industry stumbles from one catastrophe to the next, and it is not until things get catastrophic that something major gets done.

Hawkes Bay, no confidence in a safe racing surface, including the loss of 2 of their 3 major days, before they decide to rebuild.  Good on them too, the Livamol day at Te Rapa was just another reasonable days racing at Te Rapa.

Pay out to the codes was likely to reduce 25% (catastrophe), before they pulled finger to find someone to outsource to

The problem with all tracks in NZ is that THEORY and PRACTICE aren't the same and never will be.

The problem started when an edict came down from those at the top instructing all track managers to produce a track that at 6:00AM on track morning was to be a DEAD 5 going to a GOOD 4 when racing started at around noon.

And that is exactly what the Track Manager at HB tried to do but failed, because in practice , theory doesn't always work. 

If you look back at most cancelations after racing has started, it is because they were forced to put water on TOO CLOSE to Raceday, because of the Theory handed down from above.

I say, scrap the Theory and let the track managers do their job as they see fit.

• Like 2

Due to the unavailability of the Hastings track the following changes to venues and the one licence change have been confirmed:

Saturday 2 November – The Feilding JC meeting will now be held at Trentham

Sunday 17 November – This meeting will now be a Woodville-Pahiatua RC licence at Woodville

2 hours ago, ngakonui grass said:

1 horse slips  and they shut up shop which would indicate much more is wrong with the track

One swallow does make a summer.

The track raced perfectly 3 weeks prior.

The idiots at the top, with all their edicts, over the last 10 years, have all but destroyed the fabric of racing in this country.

It all started before that, when they decided that they no longer wanted Club people on the NZTR Executive. Instead they wanted well known people with a profile [that's the way I read it] chosen by the Members Council.

2 hours ago, Buller Rep said:

One swallow does make a summer.

The track raced perfectly 3 weeks prior.

The idiots at the top, with all their edicts, over the last 10 years, have all but destroyed the fabric of racing in this country.

It all started before that, when they decided that they no longer wanted Club people on the NZTR Executive. Instead they wanted well known people with a profile [that's the way I read it] chosen by the Members Council.

The track has been stuffed for years. Even the then chair of the club committee ( a very successful farmer in his own right btw) told me that a decade or so ago, and that they were trying to buy another property and relocate. You argued with me elsewhere that the so called full renovation they did was sufficient but as I said then, it was a complete waste of time and money. So, it has proved. It's not just one abandonment.

Edited by curious

1 hour ago, curious said:

The track has been stuffed for years. Even the then chair of the club committee ( a very successful farmer in his own right btw) told me that a decade or so ago, and that they were trying to buy another property and relocate. You argued with me elsewhere that the so called full renovation they did was sufficient but as I said then, it was a complete waste of time and money. So, it has proved. It's not just one abandonment.

True, true and true. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Buller Rep said:

The problem with all tracks in NZ is that THEORY and PRACTICE aren't the same and never will be.

The problem started when an edict came down from those at the top instructing all track managers to produce a track that at 6:00AM on track morning was to be a DEAD 5 going to a GOOD 4 when racing started at around noon.

And that is exactly what the Track Manager at HB tried to do but failed, because in practice , theory doesn't always work. 

If you look back at most cancelations after racing has started, it is because they were forced to put water on TOO CLOSE to Raceday, because of the Theory handed down from above.

I say, scrap the Theory and let the track managers do their job as they see fit.

Did the issue of abandonments also come about when health and safety legislation was enacted, and clubs would have become liable for any injuries or deaths if they were not able to prove that they had processes in place that they had followed.

White Island being an example.

9 minutes ago, Hesi said:

Did the issue of abandonments also come about when health and safety legislation was enacted, and clubs would have become liable for any injuries or deaths if they were not able to prove that they had processes in place that they had followed.

White Island being an example.

Hesi, that’s drawing a long bow, throwing in White Island. 

Yes they certainly have a responsibility, but to put too little water on, too late, is creating lots of the problems, so if they are trying to follow the edicts from above, then what they are being asked to do is floored. 

6 minutes ago, Buller Rep said:

Hesi, that’s drawing a long bow, throwing in White Island. 

Yes they certainly have a responsibility, but to put too little water on, too late, is creating lots of the problems, so if they are trying to follow the edicts from above, then what they are being asked to do is floored. 

Same principle