The Race Place

John Wheeler…..

Newmarket

How good is this guy, always enjoy his interviews after winning a race. Good tough win yesterday with Herbert, and stated he should have won 2, Kennedy butchered Black Betty earlier in day but in his normal fashion, comes out and wins a couple. Still rides for luck in too many races for mine. 

Anyway, back to wheels….he will always be remembered for Rough Habit and Veandercross winning great races many years ago. But for me, it was always his interviews that I really enjoyed. 

Salute to you John, great to see your team firing 👍

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Newmarket said:

How good is this guy, always enjoy his interviews after winning a race. Good tough win yesterday with Herbert, and stated he should have won 2, Kennedy butchered Black Betty earlier in day but in his normal fashion, comes out and wins a couple. Still rides for luck in too many races for mine. 

Anyway, back to wheels….he will always be remembered for Rough Habit and Veandercross winning great races many years ago. But for me, it was always his interviews that I really enjoyed. 

Salute to you John, great to see your team firing 👍

Slightly disagree in that Poetic Prince rather than Veandercross would rate better attribution. Chris Turner got John to train Veandercross in Australia because he already had the Australian experience. Turner stayed on as the "stable boy". 

On the other hand Flying Luskin was the one that got away. After doing all the early prep the forced sale meant that Flying Luskin ended up with Trevor McKee.

Wheelers influence on racing in New Plymouth has obviously been huge.

• Like 2