The Race Place

The Guerin Report with Bruce Sharrock

Hesi

What insights did you get? I have watched it but I don't think I learned anything that I didn't already know. Seemed to be pretty much of a rehash of what has happened in the past to me.

I thought this bit was good though. Bruce threw that line in at the roadshows as well.

Edited by curious
  • Like 1

6 insights for me, that you may have been aware of, but others maybe not

1.  The HB track has a negative camber past the winning post and it was this area that they watered and where the slip was

2.  More news on Avondale in a week

3.  The 100 mil if geo blocking is achieved, it is TAB Board's discretion as to the best use of it, not NZTR.  This begs the question, why isn't more money being ploughed into track upgrades as opposed to stake money.

4.  HB are likely to stay at the existing track, not a new site

5.  HB may be in financial trouble if Livamol day is moved, which has subsequently been announced

6.  A very pointed reference against social media, which was aimed at the chorus of usually ill-informed, short on data bleating about synthetic tracks, but you could throw in other issues such as abandonments due to track issues

33 minutes ago, Hesi said:

3.  The 100 mil if geo blocking is achieved, it is Entain's discretion as to the best use of it.  This begs the question, if Entain have a say, why isn't more money being ploughed into track upgrades as opposed to stake money.

Not correct and not what he said. It is paid by Entain to TABNZ which will distribute it as they see fit. Nothing to do with Entain where it is spent. Bruce has met with TABNZ to make the case for TR to get a larger share than other codes because they have a higher cost of providing product. Not sure if that argument stacks up though.

33 minutes ago, Hesi said:

6.  A very pointed reference against social media, which was aimed at the chorus of usually ill-informed, short on data bleating about synthetic tracks, but you could throw in other issues such as abandonments due to track issues

Yeahh. A typical Sharrock throw away line. There's been heaps of work and research in recent years about how social media influence can be managed. That's across large organisations, the education sector, kids and parenting etc. One key seems to be making sure that transparent and prompt release of accurate information is undertaken.

This is where Guerin is hopeless as an interviewer. Why not follow up by asking Sharrock what steps or ideas they have in mind to mitigate that instead of leaving him to bleat on about it at every opportunity? That might lead to some insights for us. Instead, he moves on to putting forward his own ideas about what he thinks should happen and leaving the interviewee to respond to those. His job as interviewer is to tease out the interviewee's ideas and thoughts, not give us his own which are often ill-informed and off the mark.

Edited by curious

2 hours ago, curious said:

Not correct and not what he said. It is paid by Entain to TABNZ which will distribute it as they see fit. Nothing to do with Entain where it is spent. Bruce has met with TABNZ to make the case for TR to get a larger share than other codes because they have a higher cost of providing product. Not sure if that argument stacks up though.

Yeahh. A typical Sharrock throw away line. There's been heaps of work and research in recent years about how social media influence can be managed. That's across large organisations, the education sector, kids and parenting etc. One key seems to be making sure that transparent and prompt release of accurate information is undertaken.

This is where Guerin is hopeless as an interviewer. Why not follow up by asking Sharrock what steps or ideas they have in mind to mitigate that instead of leaving him to bleat on about it at every opportunity? That might lead to some insights for us. Instead, he moves on to putting forward his own ideas about what he thinks should happen and leaving the interviewee to respond to those. His job as interviewer is to tease out the interviewee's ideas and thoughts, not give us his own which are often ill-informed and off the mark.

Yep corrected the Entain bit, but you were already posting, so did not show up

1 hour ago, Hesi said:

More so that his 'report' had been chewed apart on social media ??

That report wasn't initially distributed via social media, though it ended up there. What is the social media criticism that you've seen? The mainstream media (SST) article didn't do that from what I saw.

3 hours ago, Hesi said:

Yep corrected the Entain bit, but you were already posting, so did not show up

It still could become NZTR's decision where their allocation is spent e.g. stakes vs. infrastructure. The roadshow suggested though that primarily it would go to the latter.

• 2 weeks later...