The Race Place

Road to the NZ Cup 2024

karrotsishere

Post here any observations.

Dont Stop Dreaming yet to make a public appearance.

Rock N Roll Do yet to show what he is made of at trials. Old Town Road a noticable absence from trial today. 

Merlin stepping out Fri. How will Mach Shard go a few months on from his great wins.

How will Grimsons 3 who are not in top 15 go in earning a place.

Leap to Fame the Aussie champ NZ Cup abound. 

Republician Party - Karrots very early selection coming along as earlier predicted in leaps & bounds.

Will dark horse Pin Seeker make the field.

A nice inclusion in latest rankings at 13 Mcandrew Aviator.

• 2 weeks later...

Ill talk to myself here. 

Mach Shard a nice run, actually maybe more impressive than Merlin he took ground off him, who smartly driver took short cuts. 

Guerin saying its looking more likely other Aussies (Grimsons) prob wont make it, giving reason that Leap to Fame will scare them off. I think there maybe another reason if they dont come & get in. Time will tell.

Dont Stop Dreaming at workout/trials this week.

Old Town Road be back soon.

A horse that stood out as a nice run, Lady of the Light. Good stand start manners. Prob would of won had she not worked as hard early. Be unlucky not to get a Cup start but thats how competitive it is this year. 

Rock N Roll Doo, needs to start to show his old self or he may fall out of Cup field. Seems like something is amiss with him. Be great to see him in Cup. 

BD Joe an interesting runner. Be interesting to see how he goes.

RP fav tomorrow nite. Hard from 2nd row. Last year Akuta couldnt win from 2nd row. RP defending title for race has already gained a spot in Cup. So doesnt need a gut buster & has nothing to prove as won last year. A tricky position for driver, what to do. 

With top 3 automatic entry & so competitive this year to get into Cup, could see a competitive race with many lead changes or a number of mid race movers. Will this set it up for a scooper?

Tact Mcleod likely to be a mid race mover. RP guess will also have to midrace move with TM. Not sure which others in race could mid race move &  finish off race like these 2.  Franco Markek maybe, but hes fresh up & Alter Metor. Thought they were going to scratch Mosedale Ben as is a run trial short. 

Edited by karrotsishere
  • Like 1

and on the other side of the Tasman LEAP TO FAME warming up Saturday night in a local Albion FFAat $1.05  (for the Victoria Cup Oct before NZ trip)  

and BETTER ECLIPSE (the Auckland Cup winner over the 2 mile stand there already this year) is tuning up for Nz Cup raid with a go at the Kilmore Cup tomorrow night at $3.40 equal favourite with a Grimson NZ Cup nomination in DISTRICT ATTORNEY also at $3.40. will be a good challenge.

So there you go Karrots 😎 a red hot NZ Cup Trifecta for you . get on now before the rush !!😋

6 minutes ago, Lightning Blue said:

and on the other side of the Tasman LEAP TO FAME warming up Saturday night in a local Albion FFAat $1.05  (for the Victoria Cup Oct before NZ trip)  

and BETTER ECLIPSE (the Auckland Cup winner over the 2 mile stand there already this year) is tuning up for Nz Cup raid with a go at the Kilmore Cup tomorrow night at $3.40 equal favourite with a Grimson NZ Cup nomination in DISTRICT ATTORNEY also at $3.40. will be a good challenge.

So there you go Karrots 😎 a red hot NZ Cup Trifecta for you . get on now before the rush !!😋

Hehe Lightening, love how you want a Oz tri.

Im very interested to see how Grimsons team is going in a months time.

On 9/26/2024 at 6:23 PM, karrotsishere said:

Hehe Lightening, love how you want a Oz tri.

Im very interested to see how Grimsons team is going in a months time.

some NZ ones are great stayers Karrots. still a good chance to beat the Aussies. hadn't heard about TACT MCLEOD before , but very nice Addington wins lately . so likes the track and starting to look a chance ? lady driver too , which is neat. 

They just ran the Kilmore Cup just now in Victoria . A Grimson quinella 🙄 . Major Moth 1st, District Attorney battling 2nd after trailing him and Better Eclipse battling 3rd , but did sit in the death seat outside them , and sadly got no help/cover from it's stable-mate , an old New Zealander Triple Eight (who ran 4th). The Grimson Pair doing the much better team driving in that one. Sugars should learn from that. 

District Attorney and Better Eclipse will have to be much sharper sharper if getting anywhere near LEAP TO FAME in Vic Cup (October) and Nz Cup (Nov) and Interdominion (Dec) 

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Lightning Blue said:

some NZ ones are great stayers Karrots. still a good chance to beat the Aussies. hadn't heard about TACT MCLEOD before , but very nice Addington wins lately . so likes the track and starting to look a chance ? lady driver too , which is neat. 

They just ran the Kilmore Cup just now in Victoria . A Grimson quinella 🙄 . Major Moth 1st, District Attorney battling 2nd after trailing him and Better Eclipse battling 3rd , but did sit in the death seat outside them , and sadly got no help/cover from it's stable-mate , an old New Zealander Triple Eight (who ran 4th). The Grimson Pair doing the much better team driving in that one. Sugars should learn from that. 

District Attorney and Better Eclipse will have to be much sharper sharper if getting anywhere near LEAP TO FAME in Vic Cup (October) and Nz Cup (Nov) and Interdominion (Dec) 

Hey Lightning,

Thx for Oz results. Did check out field, did seem weak & Grimsons had better draws. 

Im more interested to see how his team is going in a months time. Maybe we will see changes ... maybe not. Better Eclipse in death spot hard run. Seems to race better like RP with a nice sit.

Tact M is a Lou :-) so yip know him. Trainer not sure he will run in Cup. Lets see what they decide.

On 9/26/2024 at 7:58 PM, karrotsishere said:

Tact Mcleod likely to be a mid race mover. RP guess will also have to midrace move with TM. Not sure which others in race could mid race move &  finish off race like these 2.  Franco Markek maybe, but hes fresh up & Alter Metor

The trifecta & nosed out of 4th. Ha & here I was thinking they wod all have to mid race move. These were the ones I had thought had ability to mid race move & finish race off. Didnt think they would all settle handy tho with exception RP didnt 20 lenghts off leader. Rewatched replay & what a trouper RP is.

All credit to winner tho.

Edited by karrotsishere
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, Lightning Blue said:

One thing we do know, some Aussie horses grow a leg in NZ around cup time. I wouldn’t count any out to be honest, 

8 hours ago, Newmarket said:

One thing we do know, some Aussie horses grow a leg in NZ around cup time. I wouldn’t count any out to be honest, 

Im waiting for Spitfire to come out of retirement & become part of Grimsons team & become a NZ Cup runner. Hes such an amazing trainer. 

Speaking of Aussies Cam H is coming to NZ to drive regardless if any of Grimsons team get into Cup & come here. Has show day has drives booked so far. 

Come in Happy & Rusty, Globe. What r ur Cup day thoughts?

Nod how did RP come thru the run? Noted he swished his tail last 100m. He never does that was hurting. Big hard run. They ran along. He must of run some time, considering extra ground he covered, & so far off them. Hope it hasnt flattened him. 

Newmarket - DR once had a Cup runner 2nd place. So his thoughts on lead up & Cup be good to. He maybe bias tho like I am with favs. He likes B Purdon runners.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, karrotsishere said:

Im waiting for Spitfire to come out of retirement & become part of Grimsons team & become a NZ Cup runner. Hes such an amazing trainer. 

Speaking of Aussies Cam H is coming to NZ to drive regardless if any of Grimsons team get into Cup & come here. Has show day has drives booked so far. 

Nod how did RP come thru the run? Noted he swished his tail last 100m. He never does that was hurting. Big hard run. They ran along. He must of run some time, considering extra ground he covered, & so far off them. Hope it hasnt flattened him. 

Newmarket - DR once had a Cup runner 2nd place. So his thoughts on lead up & Cup be good to. He maybe bias tho like I am with favs. He likes B Purdon runners.

Maybe we should start a thread remembering previous NZ Cup winners, stories etc. Might get a few more posting on harness thread. 

Inky Lord one of my favs, to get up and win after getting checked was amazing….

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Newmarket said:

Maybe we should start a thread remembering previous NZ Cup winners, stories etc. Might get a few more posting on harness thread. 

Inky Lord one of my favs, to get up and win after getting checked was amazing….

Good idea. Perhaps u cod create. I cant participate but can read. Blackie will join he loves that sort of thing as too does Lightning & DR & Purple Pasnip & Josia. 

I havent been active much til just recently again. So guessing Harness has been a bit quiet here. BUT its Nz Cup time. Hey isnt it daylight savings end too.

Time for posters to come back to post :-) hopefully. Mike posted here for a while not sure where he has gone & Honest John maybe hes overseas. 

Edited by karrotsishere
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, karrotsishere said:

10 hours ago, karrotsishere said:

I don't have any thoughts on who might win the Cup this year.

I think it will be the under card races, as it always does, that will provide a more prospective assessment opportunities.

It is great that this year there will be competitive horses coming from Otago, Southland, North Island, and Australia, to give the Canterbury horses a real run for their money. Perhaps the TAB will run a book on how many Canterbury trained horses will win on Cup Day.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Double R said:

I don't have any thoughts on who might win the Cup this year.

I think it will be the under card races, as it always does, that will provide a more prospective assessment opportunities.

It is great that this year there will be competitive horses coming from Otago, Southland, North Island, and Australia, to give the Canterbury horses a real run for their money. Perhaps the TAB will run a book on how many Canterbury trained horses will win on Cup Day.

Thanks DR for your thoughts.

A good aspect I hear is for those Slot races on show day the slot buyer can negociate pick, whom they want to drive the horse. I think but cant remember for 100% that thats how C Hart has drives Show day hence is coming over. But dont quote me on that cause I cant recall for sure. But hes 100% coming Show day to drive at this stage. So that makes sense. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Road to the Cup continues & the race to make the 15 spots heats up. After last Fri race 3 automatically gain entry. Iv done an updated list to include them. 

1 Leap to Fame

2 Better Eclipse

3 Dalton Shard

4 Tact Mcleod

5 Franco Marek

6 Alta Meteor

7 Merlin

8 Mach Shard

9 Dont Stop Dreaming

10 Republican Party

11 American Me

12 Sooner the Better

13 Rock N Roll Doo

14 Beach Ball

15 Speak the Truth

Those out & need to gain or regain:

Mcandrew Avaiator, Old Town Road, BD Joe, District Attorney, Lady of the Light, Nerano, Charlie Brown, Pin Seeker.

Racing this weekend, will be very important for some. Question mark surrounding Rock N Roll Doo who hasnt been sighted since his trial 2 weeks ago. American Me needs to lift or may get leap froged by those chasing a spot. Same can be said with Speak the Truth & Beach Ball.

Edited by karrotsishere
  • Like 2

Posted (edited)

HRNZ have just released Cup rankings just now a day early & disappointed they have moved Major Moth Grimson runner from ranking 28 to 15, for Oz win. Saw the field it was weak & he had a front row draw. 

There is also dissatiafacrtion brewing I understand, with Canterbury Classic having 3 automatic entries & some saying this needs to change. 

Hoping some leap frog Major Moth this weekend.

So Speak the Truth is out of top 15.

Edited by karrotsishere
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
20 hours ago, karrotsishere said:

There is also dissatiafacrtion brewing I understand, with Canterbury Classic having 3 automatic entries & some saying this needs to change.

Really good segment on Cup Rankings & how 1st 3 home needs to change. Also lead up Cup race dates need to change. I agree with everything M Guerin says. Segment starts from 25 mins goes for 5-10mins.

Also DR Meant To Be gets a good plug too :-) Go to 18 mins & watch for 2-3 mins. 

Overall quite a good informative watch with info on where Leap To Fame will stay when he arrives etc. Also info about Grimsons 2 he is bringing. Was neat seeing trainer of Tact Mcleod showing rare emotions after win. Makes these things so much special when its really appreciated & unexpected. Also interviewed trainer od Keayang Zahara.

Check out these times stride master Addingtons also on this boxseat M Cross said RP came home in 27.5, as well as below.

Category – Pacing Horses Only Horse Time Result

Fastest first 200m time equivalent stand Franco Marek 14.86 2nd

Fastest first 200m time equivalent mobile Terra Sancta 12.76 10th

Fastest 1980m time equivalent Wag Star 2.19.6 1st

Fastest mile time equivalent Republican Party 1.52.5 5th

Fastest 800m time equivalent Republican Party 54.57 5th

Fastest 400m time equivalent Borrisokane 26.30 3rd

Edited by karrotsishere

1 hour ago, karrotsishere said:

Really good segment on Cup Rankings & how 1st 3 home needs to change. Also lead up Cup race dates need to change. I agree with everything M Guerin says. Segment starts from 25 mins goes for 5-10mins.

Also DR Meant To Be gets a good plug too 🙂 Go to 18 mins & watch for 2-3 mins. 

Overall quite a good informative watch with info on where Leap To Fame will stay when he arrives etc. Also info about Grimsons 2 he is bringing. Was neat seeing trainer of Tact Mcleod showing rare emotions after win. Makes these things so much special when its really appreciated & unexpected. Also interviewed trainer od Keayang Zahara.

Check out these times stride master Addingtons also on this boxseat M Cross said RP came home in 27.5, as well as below.

Category – Pacing Horses Only Horse Time Result

Fastest first 200m time equivalent stand Franco Marek 14.86 2nd

Fastest first 200m time equivalent mobile Terra Sancta 12.76 10th

Fastest 1980m time equivalent Wag Star 2.19.6 1st

Fastest mile time equivalent Republican Party 1.52.5 5th

Fastest 800m time equivalent Republican Party 54.57 5th

Fastest 400m time equivalent Borrisokane 26.30 3rd

Thanks Karrots, I saw the item on MTB when it was televised last night.

My thoughts for exemptions for the Cup are, to have only three winner exempt races from last season.

Interdominions.

New Zealand Cup.

Auckland Cup.

Back in the old days you had to win 10 races to graduate to Cup Class, and in those days the races were generally once a week.

Of course times have changed, but I think a better criteria, and much easier for all to understand, would be a rating based formula that a horse would have to be a rating 90 or higher to nominate for the Cup. If you have earnt that rating or higher, then you are eligible to be considered for the Cup. If the race ends up with numbers under the maximum of 15 starts, then sobeit. I am reluctant to say, but some horses in the past that have been added to make up the field, have contributed to making the race messy.

So there is my two Robert's worth, and if people want lucky dips, try lotto.

Edited by Double R
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, Double R said:

Thanks Karrots, I saw the item on MTB when it was televised last night.

My thoughts for exemptions for the Cup are, to have only three winner exempt races from last season.

Interdominions.

New Zealand Cup.

Auckland Cup.

Back in the old days you had to win 10 races to graduate to Cup Class, and in those days the races were generally once a week.

Of course times have changed, but I think a better criteria, and much easier for all to understand, would be a rating based formula that a horse would have to be a rating 90 or higher to nominate for the Cup. If you have earnt that rating or higher, then you are eligible to be considered for the Cup. If the race ends up with numbers under the maximum of 15 starts, then sobeit. I am reluctant to say, but some horses in the past that have been added to make up the field, have contributed to making the race messy.

So there is my two Robert's worth, and if people want lucky dips, try lotto.

Yes. Imagine if Beach Ball doesnt get a start & he placed in Cup last year is rating 90. Or Old Town Road R91 & a very good horse or BD Joe another good horse rated R100. Because all 3 could miss out.

They said as you know on Boxseat Grimson plans to bring 2 & maybe start at Kaikora. Why is he always so confident, and wht is he so confident they will get in. I bet the other trainers arent so confident yet they have better horses all the above.

We shall wait & see what happens. Who gets in & who misses out.

• Like 1

On 10/3/2024 at 8:09 AM, karrotsishere said:

Yes. Imagine if Beach Ball doesnt get a start & he placed in Cup last year is rating 90. Or Old Town Road R91 & a very good horse or BD Joe another good horse rated R100. Because all 3 could miss out.

Nice win Might Looee Methvan Cup. Hes not nomed for Cup. His win & Merlins = top 15 spots will likely stay same, altho Sooner the Better 3rd Holmes may pop 1 place ahead of American Me 4th Methvan Cup. That 4th should cement American Mes spot.

BJ Joe also ran means his Cup start is likely over, unless he pulls something special out in last 2 lead ups. Much harder now as will be competing against the top ones. Same with Old Town Road who will be fresh. Beach Ball who sits in 14th could be leap frogged by a Grimson runner.

Still no sign of Rock N Roll Do.

On 10/11/2024 at 2:29 PM, Newmarket said:

I see Leap To Fame out of Hunter Cup? Those that punted him at $1-70 for NZ cup might be shaking a little. 

Not quite the Hunter Cup  . twas the Victoria Cup run last night. Leap to fame won the Hunter Cup earlier this year (The Feature Australia longer distance race) 

yes I think my advance multi's are dead yet again at $1.80 on Leap To Fame.  Lost a heap of them on AKUTA last year too, who I thought was a NZ Cup special of all time.  But the Aussie star Swayzee cleaned him up and Akuta just 2nd. (went very well though) Akuta injured this year so not in the Cup. 

The Victoria Cup was won last night by SWayzee very easily in the absence of Leap To Fame (scratched with a virus)

was just saying to Karrots on another thread that SWAYZEE not defending his NZ CUP crown , as is bust chasing a NSW $1,000,000 country Cups Bonus. To win 5 of their country town Cups over a 5 month period. Swayzee won the First one last month, but the next one is run during NZ CUP week.

so SWAYZEE won't be at Addington. a lucky break for the NZ locals, as the way he won last year , and Last night too in Victoria, he'd have bolted it in. 

• Like 1