The Race Place

Colin Wightman returns

pete

On 9/10/2024 at 12:57 PM, pete said:

Here's Colin's latest from the Racing NZ Thoroughbred Chat Facebook Page.

I'm not trying to stir things up here - I think what he's said is worth discussing on here.

"Good morning racing friends. I’ve been asked by many to investigate the high level of deaths and injuries on our poly tracks here in NZ, something I’ve been concerned about this last 12 months with seeing so many horses suffering dreadful outcomes, including Lisa Allpress of course after her nasty fall off Pretending at Riccarton recently. Like many others I have tried unsuccessfully to achieve anything with NZTR and have in fact been ignored. Reading correspondence and hearing concerns from others tells me that NZTR is largely denying we have a problem (as are the respective clubs) and are more interested in covering up the carnage rather than finding urgent solutions to the problem. It is very difficult for trainers to get involved in further exposing the issues because often they are marginalised, stable leases jeopardised and in some cases their licences are threatened for speaking up. What I would like to do please is gather a robust file of evidence to at first present to Darin Balcombe and Justine Slater (Animal Welfare) at NZTR calling on them to close down racing on poly tracks until better assurances can be given that its fit & safe for purpose. If the results of that effort conclude in nothing, then I propose a formal complaint to RIU. It is important, in my view, that we keep this problem within the industry because we have radical animal welfare people outside our industry who would use any opportunity to close us down, as they are trying to do with Greyhounds. The reason for posting this on here is that I would like anyone with information regarding the unsafe state of our poly tracks to come forward (confidential if you like) to assist me in this investigation. My email address (preferably) is c.wightman@xtra.co.nz. Thanks guys. Appreciated. Colin."

Here is the report in case you are wondering why your horses might be breaking down on the Riccarton poly.

POLY TRACK INVESTIGATION NZ.docx

• Thanks 1