The Race Place

Colin Wightman returns

pete

The other aim, for some of the newcomers to the site, was to provide another option for PJ to take his comps, which he eventually took us up on.

At the time, the 2 other sites were up in the air as far as being viable was concerned and Facebook does not have the format or potential anonymity.

Now those that post elsewhere might find that a bit unusual, but at the time, comps were seen as an unnecessary add on to these chat sites, now the way they are promoted, they are a 'cannot do without' lol🙄

11 minutes ago, Hesi said:

That was one of the aims in starting the site

Fair enough. I thought that kind of thing was entertaining. Especially observing peoples' reactions. Status Quo comes to mind. I suppose if you can't stand the heat you can always get out of the kitchen.

5 minutes ago, Hesi said:

The other aim, for some of the newcomers to the site, was to provide another option for PJ to take his comps, which he eventually took us up on.

At the time, the 2 other sites were up in the air as far as being viable was concerned and Facebook does not have the format or potential anonymity.

Now those that post elsewhere might find that a bit unusual, but at the time, comps were seen as an unnecessary add on to these chat sites, now the way they are promoted, they are a 'cannot do without' lol🙄

Not something I personally have any interest in and I hate that they clutter up other discussion sites.

Edited by curious
  • Sad 1

8 minutes ago, curious said:

Not something I personally have any interest in and I hate that they clutter up other discussion sites.

At least on this site they are in the Comp section where they should be, so the only 'cluttering up' is in the side panel and usually only on a Sat

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Hesi said:

At least on this site they are in the Comp section where they should be, so the only 'cluttering up' is in the side panel and usually only on a Sat

Yes. That's absolutely fine. Totally respect that some love them.

11 minutes ago, pete said:

I think it's fair to say we never envisaged the success of Punting Perspectives when we started out.

It's now something that really sets this place apart from others. 

We do have people like Barry, Curious, yourself, LFV, Slam Dunk, NG, Howie, Craig and a few others to thank for that, all of whom seem to understand the principle of value, even though they have different methods of assessing.

The list of good, priced winners is long, just in the last week, Summit Heights at $34, Grail Seeker $27

• Like 2

2 hours ago, pete said:

I am over it thanks and I don't really need you telling me how I should think.

In my experience people rarely change later in life. He could, of course, be a rare exception.

Agreed Pete, his style of posting died out a few yrs ago, sort of like Thomass.

Shit even I have mellowed, Hesi can back me up here, you should bring your new bird to Te Rapa on Sunday for a perv.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, curious said:

Not sure why you would exclude either. I've done close to six figures worth of business with Colin in the last year, said gidday at the road show last week, and had a chat at the jump-outs a couple of weeks ago. He has significant skin in the game, a heap of experience, punts seriously, in mega bucks compared to my standards, and is not afraid to say what he thinks. I'd think he would be good value on here if he wanted to post here. Top bloke as is Leo.

Exactly. Also Leo if he posted here would see the viewing figures shoot thru the roof. I have yet to see a journalist with better command of the English written language. On the other hand a flawed character. Without the flaws he would have been Auckland mayor and still might be as he seems to be controlling himself (at the moment). There is no reason to continue the anti Wightman campaign and as pointed out by you and Freda Colin is an immersed participant in the game.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, slam dunk said:

Exactly. Also Leo if he posted here would see the viewing figures shoot thru the roof. I have yet to see a journalist with better command of the English written language. On the other hand a flawed character. Without the flaws he would have been Auckland mayor and still might be as he seems to be controlling himself (at the moment). There is no reason to continue the anti Wightman campaign and as pointed out by you and Freda Colin is an immersed participant in the game.

And, as pointed out, it's academic because neither of them have requested to join  this site.

Getting slightly sick of repeating this.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, pete said:

And, as pointed out, it's academic because neither of them have requested to join  this site.

Getting slightly sick of repeating this.

It might be moot, but your "hell freezes over" comment might have prompted the responses.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, Freda said:

Ha...I recall Col and Mardi having a long-running 'discussion' about the merits of commingling.  Not sure if there was ever a resolution...!

I trained for Col for a while, sold a nice horse to HK for him.  We chat when in the same area, and although he [ IMO ] gets the wrong end of the stick occasionally he is NOT scared to stand up for what he feels it right, not many have the nuts to do that, good on him.

Yes, we had a number of discussions on various topics. As you say, never one to back away from what he believed in.

As for commingling, I will let the results of the TAB since its introduction, coupled with the overall tiny volumes bet through the tote now (through all commingled partners) on NZ Racing, stand in support of my view 🙂 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Here's Colin's latest from the Racing NZ Thoroughbred Chat Facebook Page.

I'm not trying to stir things up here - I think what he's said is worth discussing on here.

"Good morning racing friends. I’ve been asked by many to investigate the high level of deaths and injuries on our poly tracks here in NZ, something I’ve been concerned about this last 12 months with seeing so many horses suffering dreadful outcomes, including Lisa Allpress of course after her nasty fall off Pretending at Riccarton recently. Like many others I have tried unsuccessfully to achieve anything with NZTR and have in fact been ignored. Reading correspondence and hearing concerns from others tells me that NZTR is largely denying we have a problem (as are the respective clubs) and are more interested in covering up the carnage rather than finding urgent solutions to the problem. It is very difficult for trainers to get involved in further exposing the issues because often they are marginalised, stable leases jeopardised and in some cases their licences are threatened for speaking up. What I would like to do please is gather a robust file of evidence to at first present to Darin Balcombe and Justine Slater (Animal Welfare) at NZTR calling on them to close down racing on poly tracks until better assurances can be given that its fit & safe for purpose. If the results of that effort conclude in nothing, then I propose a formal complaint to RIU. It is important, in my view, that we keep this problem within the industry because we have radical animal welfare people outside our industry who would use any opportunity to close us down, as they are trying to do with Greyhounds. The reason for posting this on here is that I would like anyone with information regarding the unsafe state of our poly tracks to come forward (confidential if you like) to assist me in this investigation. My email address (preferably) is c.wightman@xtra.co.nz. Thanks guys. Appreciated. Colin."

• Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, pete said:

Here's Colin's latest from the Racing NZ Thoroughbred Chat Facebook Page.

I'm not trying to stir things up here - I think what he's said is worth discussing on here.

"Good morning racing friends. I’ve been asked by many to investigate the high level of deaths and injuries on our poly tracks here in NZ, something I’ve been concerned about this last 12 months with seeing so many horses suffering dreadful outcomes, including Lisa Allpress of course after her nasty fall off Pretending at Riccarton recently. Like many others I have tried unsuccessfully to achieve anything with NZTR and have in fact been ignored. Reading correspondence and hearing concerns from others tells me that NZTR is largely denying we have a problem (as are the respective clubs) and are more interested in covering up the carnage rather than finding urgent solutions to the problem. It is very difficult for trainers to get involved in further exposing the issues because often they are marginalised, stable leases jeopardised and in some cases their licences are threatened for speaking up. What I would like to do please is gather a robust file of evidence to at first present to Darin Balcombe and Justine Slater (Animal Welfare) at NZTR calling on them to close down racing on poly tracks until better assurances can be given that its fit & safe for purpose. If the results of that effort conclude in nothing, then I propose a formal complaint to RIU. It is important, in my view, that we keep this problem within the industry because we have radical animal welfare people outside our industry who would use any opportunity to close us down, as they are trying to do with Greyhounds. The reason for posting this on here is that I would like anyone with information regarding the unsafe state of our poly tracks to come forward (confidential if you like) to assist me in this investigation. My email address (preferably) is c.wightman@xtra.co.nz. Thanks guys. Appreciated. Colin."

He would need some pretty good robust data, not just raconteurial stuff or it is just seen as unsubstantiated clap trap

Such as the number of horses deceased and injured as a percentage of the number of horses raced, measured on a per year basis, or some sort of robust measure.

Then the data would have to be compared with that for turf tracks, if available.

Had a yarn to him about this at the Entain roadshow today. That was after I'd been and had a good look at the poly including digging down to the tarmac in a couple of places. It needs an independent audit but the top is shallow especially in places. It is compacted just below the top 50mms or so and probably less than 100mms to the asphalt. I think he has a case for it to be more closely looked at. There are also stories of the Awapuni one being too shallow compared with other polys internationally.  I'll say that I may be biased in both directions on this having won 3 races there since it was installed but also possibly losing a horse to injury from it.

• Like 1

Colin seems to have fallen in love with Entain.

"I was hoping someone would come on here to give their take on the Entain Roadshow which we had at Riccarton on Tuesday this week. Two years on since they took over from the “beached whale” of an outfit called the NZ Tab and reports from Cameron and his marketing man were very much as expected. People who largely know what they are doing in building our customer base and getting things right at the betting end of things. When their boss fronted a meeting here 2 years ago it was pure bliss because instead of bullshit artists trying to cover up for their failings, their boss was so fluent in his knowledge of wagering products and how to grow the market. Likewise, the boys on Tuesday didn’t brag about their achievements. They were more there to assure us they knew what they were doing. They didn’t tell us how they’d grown their internet accounts by nearly 50 percent in two short years. They didn’t tell us how they’ve been able to increase NZ TAB racing turnover by 4 percent this last 12 months in recessionary conditions compared to Australia which is down 15 percent. They didn’t tell us that take-outs between NZ and Australia are now pretty much the same. They didn’t even brag about increasing their payout to our code from $150 million to $185 million next year. These achievements were born out of asking them during question time. The best answer I got out of them was that they have 2 out of 7 people on the programming committee. Knowing how incompetent “programmers” have been in the past (this winters poly track “force” program an example), here’s hoping that they correct a few of these glaring problems in the future by way of their 2/7 influence. In short .. 90 minutes of basic, sound, marketing commonsense."