The Race Place

Colin Wightman returns

pete

Seen on the NZ Thoroughbred Chat group on Facebook:

"Good morning guys, I'm new here and just want to introduce myself first before sharing with you the findings of yesterdays NZTR Roadshow here at Riccarton which was well attended by grass roots stakeholders. I'm like most of you, a died in the wool horse lover and got the disease as a child with 3 sisters who were all elevated into the equestrian side of the industry while I found my own way into Thoroughbred racing. A keen punter. Keen breeder. A keen rider once but now getting long in the tooth. And .. a very keen [mad] racehorse owner. In earlier years I was very much involved in industry politics when administrators at both NZTR and TAB level had lost their way. Started the Fair Tax campaign with Rob McAnulty which turned out to be a huge success [worth over $40 million per annum in tax relief]. As I was entrusted to stop the secreted One Racing efforts of elite Thoroughbred players who wanted legislation that would rob communities of their racecourse assets when publishing the minutes of those dodgy meetings. Like others here, I'm a critic, still am, but I do it for the good of the industry because for too long Thoroughbred Racing has been run like an Old Boys Club serving those at the top of the pyramid, forgetting those at the middle and bottom end rung. I don't normally have time for chat sites but I was inspired to join here because at the NZTR meeting yesterday I got a negative response when I asked why NZTR refused to supply contact details for our socalled representative Board Members at NZTR. I was also taken back when Bruce Sharrock, CEO of NZTR, criticised Social Media as opposed to inviting it in the name of "transparency". Anyway, hi to all and I look forward to dropping in every now and then for a yarn. Cheers. Colin Wightman."

• Like 2

Nothing wrong with Colin Wightman its only because some non thinkers got sucked into the vile bs from the ex mayoralty candidate that he was vilified on the forums. The campaign that went on for more than ten years which some may thought as funny was anything but. Thankfully racing social media has progressed and the sort of bullying abuse that Wightman was subjected to is no longer tolerated.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, slam dunk said:

Nothing wrong with Colin Wightman its only because some non thinkers got sucked into the vile bs from the ex mayoralty candidate that he was vilified on the forums. The campaign that went on for more than ten years which some may thought as funny was anything but. Thankfully racing social media has progressed and the sort of bullying abuse that Wightman was subjected to is no longer tolerated.

He gave as good as he got. 

Do a search on Racecafe of 'Wightman'

Seems more than just an ex mayoral candidate who posted under his mate Kevin Morton's account (Midget), put the boot into him.

Know nothing about the guy, so do not have an opinion on him

25 minutes ago, Hesi said:

Do a search on Racecafe of 'Wightman'

Seems more than just an ex mayoral candidate who posted under his mate Kevin Morton's account (Midget), put the boot into him.

Know nothing about the guy, so do not have an opinion on him

Hell will freeze over before he ever gets to post on here 

• Sad 1

Not sure why you would exclude either. I've done close to six figures worth of business with Colin in the last year, said gidday at the road show last week, and had a chat at the jump-outs a couple of weeks ago. He has significant skin in the game, a heap of experience, punts seriously, in mega bucks compared to my standards, and is not afraid to say what he thinks. I'd think he would be good value on here if he wanted to post here. Top bloke as is Leo.

Edited by curious
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, curious said:

Not sure why you would exclude either. I've done close to six figures worth of business with Colin in the last year, said gidday at the road show last week, and had a chat at the jump-outs a couple of weeks ago. He has significant skin in the game, a heap of experience, punts seriously, in mega bucks compared to my standards, and is not afraid to say what he thinks. I'd think he would be good value on here if he wanted to post here. Top bloke as is Leo.

You're quite entitled to your opinion. You seem to have forgotten all the shit CW dished out on Racechat. That's not happening here.

2 minutes ago, curious said:

Ha...I recall Col and Mardi having a long-running 'discussion' about the merits of commingling.  Not sure if there was ever a resolution...!

I trained for Col for a while, sold a nice horse to HK for him.  We chat when in the same area, and although he [ IMO ] gets the wrong end of the stick occasionally he is NOT scared to stand up for what he feels it right, not many have the nuts to do that, good on him.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, pete said:

You're quite entitled to your opinion. You seem to have forgotten all the shit CW dished out on Racechat. That's not happening here.

I haven't forgotten Leo dishing out to me either.  I know he has his good points, does a lot for charities and the disadvantaged, but I knew him when we were teenagers, thought he was a friend, bloody hell, ya don't need enemies with friends like that.

Edited by Freda
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, curious said:

I certainly don't always agree with him. Racechat was a long time ago. Get over it.

I am over it thanks and I don't really need you telling me how I should think.

In my experience people rarely change later in life. He could, of course, be a rare exception.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Freda said:

I haven't forgotten the nasty little bloke dishing out to me either.  I know he has his good points, does a lot for charities and the disadvantaged, but I knew him when we were teenagers, thought he was a friend, bloody hell, ya don't need enemies with friends like that.

That's me too in regards to my lifelong friend Leo [well] 50+ years.

I say let Colin in but relegate Leo to the same timetable as Darren Weir.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, curious said:

I certainly don't always agree with him. Racechat was a long time ago. Get over it.

You also seem to be ignorant of the fact that most people on here don't want a load of argumentative bullshit being posted. We have a good group on here who are generally respectful to each other. I can't speak for Hesi but I'd personally like to keep it that way.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Buller Rep said:

That's me too in regards to my lifelong friend Leo [well] 50+ years.

I say let Colin in but relegate Leo to the same timetable as Darren Weir.

There's no 'letting Colin in'. He hasn't applied to join.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, curious said:

I'd be confident he won't if he reads this.

I think from his FB post that he's pretty much done with chatsites.

Anyway, a bit of a blast from the past. One thing that will never change about the two gentlemen concerned is that they are certainly polarizing characters.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, pete said:

One thing that will never change about the two gentlemen concerned is that they are certainly polarizing characters.

I don't know that it won't change. I'd prefer that it didn't though. Adds some spark to discussions.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

26 minutes ago, pete said:

You also seem to be ignorant of the fact that most people on here don't want a load of argumentative bullshit being posted. We have a good group on here who are generally respectful to each other. I can't speak for Hesi but I'd personally like to keep it that way.

That was one of the aims in starting the site

• Like 1