The Race Place

Wanganui races

ngakonui grass

In the case of 2-year-olds, decisions on breeding a horse would have been taken 3 years ago, if my maths is correct.

This was at a time, when the future of NZ racing was looking very glum, so I guess that is the reason why ????

Someone will have foal crop data

23 minutes ago, pete said:

Why would you fire up a two year old this early when all the big money is up later in the season?

Grab a quick dollar if you've got an early one. Give it a race experience, a breather and come back for those later races if good enough?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, pete said:

Why would you fire up a two year old this early when all the big money is up later in the season?

Good point though Pete, another consequence?? of the big money on offer at Karaka and the fact they have made the Manawatu Sires a qualifying race for The NZB Kiwi

• Like 1

Is there a number at which point the club either have to run the race or decide to not run the race.  I note the starters are now up to 5 with the addition of a second Te Akau runner.  Is this done to make sure the race is run, as TA already have a runner in the race.

I like Victoria's new stance of knocking off some of the money [top] from the new races such as the All Star Mile and applying it to the Super Maidens [50K] in Victoria on a Sunday.

Maybe V'Landy is also seeing the light, although I do think that the Highway's and Midway's have been super successful whatever way you look at them.

On 8/27/2024 at 7:14 PM, pete said:

Not all horses mature at the same rate - nor are able to achieve the highest levels. A reasonable early maturer can probably do well when there is less opposition. If any good later, can still target those options.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Looking at the NZ breeding stats for the last 3 years, mares served/foals/numbers exported

21/22 - just over 1,000 horses left to race in NZ

22/23 - data not available for foals/exported, but extrapolating, possibly less than 1,000 horses left in NZ.

Go back several years and it is approx double that.

• Like 1

Looking further.

A few questions

1.  Is a retained foal crop/annum of 1,000 horses enough to support an industry of 3,000 races/year, 1,000 maiden races.  Correct me if I am wrong.  Also allowing for a factor of how many actually get to race

2.  Will the breeding stats be higher in 23/24

39 minutes ago, Hesi said:

Looking at the NZ breeding stats for the last 3 years, mares served/foals/numbers exported

21/22 - just over 1,000 horses left to race in NZ

22/23 - data not available for foals/exported, but extrapolating, possibly less than 1,000 horses left in NZ.

Go back several years and it is approx double that.

I’ve got twice the chance of a winner (or better still) a good horse when my (current) yearling hits the racecourse in a year or two 😁