The Race Place

NPC Spring Super Comp 2024 - entries called for

PWJ

Just a heads-up for the Spring NPC Super Comp 2024.

The Spring NPC Super Comp will commence on Saturday August 10.

It will consist of 8 teams and will run as a round-robin for the first 14 weeks after which the Top 4 teams will compete in a Finals Series culminating on Nov 16, final day of the Melbourne Spring Carnival. The bottom 4 Teams will also have a Presidents Finals Series.

It's important that sometime in the next week you indicate if you:

a) wish to participate in the Spring Comp

b) wish to stay in your team from last time or seek a change

If you didn't play in the last NPC comp please feel free to join and if you have a team preference, please state. Teams will have vacancies.

The reigning Champs are the Ferdies who defeated the Turbos in the 2023 Grand Final. The Blues defeated the Magpies in the 3rd place playoff. The Chiefs beat The Highlanders in the Presidents Grand Final while the Kauri Kats were awarded the Wooden Spoon after being defeated by The Swamp Foxes.

The format will be the same as for the recent Super comps.

The posting thread will be open permanently but there will be a restriction of at least 6 different picks (of 20) for those who post after their opponent

Lastly we will need 8 Captains to helm these 8 great franchises. Think about making the small but important commitment to Captaincy.

Any questions please ask.

Here are the teams from the last rendition (with available players listed):

TURBOS: Gary, Ziggy, Our Maizcay, Blind Squirrel, Ray

FERDIES: Heather, Hesi, Geoff, Maurice, PJ

MAGPIES: Antz, Richie, Stevie N, Ian, Secret Squirrel

BLUES: Smiler, Roland, Gordy, Moose, Pete

KAURI KATS: Sharne, Rex, Graeme,

SWAMP FOXES: Maria, Jamison, Black Caviar, Punter Pete

HIGHLANDERS: Tonka, Midnight Caller, Craig, Rob, Howie

CHIEFS: Gee, Jack, Robert, Steve P, Lightning Blue

• PWJ pinned this topic

The Final Stats from last year:

FINAL MAGNIFICENT SEVEN

4570.40 Howie (Highlanders) (13/3)

4542.20 Heather (Ferdies) (9/7)

4539.80 Punter Pete (Swamp Foxes) (10/6)

4170.20 Black Caviar (Swamp Foxes) (13/3)

4169.40 Antz (Magpies) (8/8)

4160.60 Our Maizcay (Turbos) (13/3)

4105.40 Ziggy (Turbos) (9/7)

THE FINAL SERENDIPITOUS SIX (those with the least $$ scored against them)

Secret Squirrel (11/5-2780.40) (Magpies)

Ray (7/9-2775.00) (Turbos)

Ian (10/6-2599.20) (Magpies)

Pam (7/4-1675.80) (Kauri Kats)[*11 matches only]

Geoff (11/5-2279.60) (Ferdies)

Black Caviar (13/3-2239.60) (Swamp Foxes)

THE FINAL UNFORTUNATE FIVE (those with the most $$ scored against them)

Robert (7/9-4167.60) (Chiefs)

Gary (6/10-4274.80) (Turbos)

Roland (6/10-4277.40) (Blues)

Rees (4/12-4610.60) (Swamp Foxes)

Richie (5/11-4651.80) (Magpies)

Happy to captain the Ferdies, current NPC title holders, again.

As long as Geoff comes in and Heather, the Empress of Leppersville is able to participate the team should be unchanged

Thanks

• Thanks 1

Might be interested if I could know what the rules are. Do I need to take a blood test? Is a sense of humour mandatory? My judgement may be in question as I moved to Australia 13 years ago and am still here. If I decide to join, will request I be put in the expected low performing team if there is such a thing. No expectations is my go though I can fluke a win every now and then. 

6 minutes ago, LookingForValue said:

Might be interested if I could know what the rules are. Do I need to take a blood test? Is a sense of humour mandatory? My judgement may be in question as I moved to Australia 13 years ago and am still here. If I decide to join, will request I be put in the expected low performing team if there is such a thing. No expectations is my go though I can fluke a win every now and then. 

Sense of humour is mandatory Rich, so you will be a fine addition, along with your lately well exhibited selecting skills.  Don't worry about the Aus thing, PJ lives in Aus, as do many others, and he runs the comp.

All you need to focus on is picking 2 horses in each of the specified 10 races each week, 5 in NZ, 5 in Aus, and selecting 1 best bet in each country.

Simple, PJ and the captains will handle the rest.

The above applies to any newbies who actively participate on the site and may be considering entering. 

2 minutes ago, Hesi said:

Sense of humour is mandatory Rich, so you will be a fine addition, along with your lately well exhibited selecting skills.  Don't worry about the Aus thing, PJ lives in Aus, as do many others, and he runs the comp.

All you need to focus on is picking 2 horses in each of the specified 10 races each week, 5 in NZ, 5 in Aus, and selecting 1 best bet in each country.

Simple, PJ and the captains will handle the rest.

The above applies to any newbies who actively participate on the site and may be considering entering. 

I'm sure I could narrow each race down to 2. 

19 minutes ago, LookingForValue said:

You'd be welcome in the Blues Rich. We're high performers sometimes but don't let that put you off.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, LookingForValue said:

I'm sure I could narrow each race down to 2. 

Good to have you aboard, LFV. Any team would greatly benefit from your skills.

• Like 1