The Race Place

Te Aroha Abandoned Sunday

BarryB

I see Te Aroha is f--ked & the meeting is off for Sunday, jumps are now at Te Rapa on Sat & flat racing is now over at Tauranga.

We could all see it for ourselves at the last meeting.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Speaking of word salads, It's July.

"it is imperative this work takes place while there is an appropriate weather window"

Really? What's the betting on the late July meeting going ahead and why did they race on it last week if it was in such a state?

Edited by curious
  • Like 2

Te Aroha still intend to race right through the extended winter. Its only a "glitch" to repair the track from last week. 

The Avondale decision came from Avondale themselves. They have got the facilities for thousands at the markets but too measley to get power on for services such as TV & TAB. Surely Biden isn't running these clubs as well.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Hesi said:

I thought TAB NZ were not issuing any more racing licenses to Avondale

A good friend of mine said..."Racing is fucked in the CD" and that was only 3 months ago!

Since then the tracks down there [the CD]  have played brilliantly including HB last Saturday, even after all their rain last week.

Should I ask him about the North, given all that I read above?

9 minutes ago, Buller Rep said:

A good friend of mine said..."Racing is fucked in the CD" and that was only 3 months ago!

Since then the tracks down there [the CD]  have played brilliantly including HB last Saturday, even after all their rain last week.

Should I ask him about the North, given all that I read above?

Good idea. Let us know what he says.

11 minutes ago, Hesi said:

I can vaguely recall 7-8 years ago on Racecafe, people lamenting the decline of racing in the CD, saying it was on the brink

Probably still is but there's hardly a viable track left operating in the north other than the Cambridge poly.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I note that having a look through the NZTR calendar that stake levels are out for up until the end of the Riccarton carnival

Hawkes Bay 2023 - 3.29 mil, 2024- 3.185 mil

Riccarton 2023 - 3.46 mil 2024 - 3.6 mil

13 hours ago, curious said:

Probably still is but there's hardly a viable track left operating in the north other than the Cambridge poly.

Gross over statement Curious.

Te Rapa is the best racing surface in the country & now they are upgrading the facilities in the entire grandstand its turning into a great venue to attend.

10 minutes ago, Hesi said:

Why would they be upgrading facilities, when they have signed a Memorandum of Understanding with Waipa and Cambridge to progress a new Greenfields site

Good question. I heard they were doing that but couldn't figure it out. Is there a change of plans or do they have too much money to burn?

• Like 1

Announcement of Waikato super Club merger
A significant decision has been reached regarding the establishment of a new racing Club, named Waikato Thoroughbred Racing (WTR), following the official merger approval between Waikato Racing Club, Cambridge Jockey Club, and Waipa Racing Club.
NZTR | May 29, 2023

A significant decision has been reached regarding the establishment of a new racing Club, named Waikato Thoroughbred Racing (WTR), following the official merger approval between Waikato Racing Club, Cambridge Jockey Club, and Waipa Racing Club.

The amalgamation was endorsed by the Board and members of all three Clubs during their respective Special General Meetings (SGMs), with the intention of bringing extensive benefits to the racing region of the Waikato. The merger will take effect on August 1 2023.

The overwhelming majority of members present at the three SGM’s voted in favour of the merger, as they firmly believe that this formation will give rise to a robust and well-resourced super Club in New Zealand's largest thoroughbred racing and breeding region.

At the helm of the merger is Waikato Racing Club Chairman, John Elstob, who as the WTR Working Group Chair commented on the formation of Waikato Thoroughbred Racing.

“Collectively, the merger of the three Clubs places the newly formed Club in a significantly better position to accomplish our primary objectives, surpassing the capabilities of any individual Club or combination of two Clubs.”

“The merged Club will have improved scale and strength, as well as the flexibility to advance its racing and training operations.

“These positive effects will extend beyond the Club itself, benefiting the racing industry throughout the entire country,” Elstob said. 

The amalgamation is strongly supported by both the Cambridge Jockey Club and Waipa Racing Club.

“Without doubt it is now the time for these discussions to result in a tangible step forward for thoroughbred racing in the region, the engine room of the of the sport in New Zealand,” commented Bruce Harvey, President of Cambridge Jockey Club.

“The three Clubs have also obtained support from key thoroughbred racing bodies providing a great step forward in achieving a sustainable New Zealand thoroughbred racing industry,” said Waipa Racing Club President, Carolyn Christian.

New Zealand Thoroughbred Racing Chief Executive Officer, Bruce Sharrock, also endorsed the game-changing union and the benefits it has on the domestic racing industry.

“I would like to acknowledge the Chairs of the respective Clubs for their vision, leadership and hard work in executing this merger.”

“The Boards and members have illustrated with overwhelming support that, whilst each Club has a proud history, together they set themselves and the industry up for a brighter future.

“This is another very significant step forward for the industry in gaining efficiencies and better utilising assets as a collective,” Sharrock said.  

3 hours ago, BarryB said:

Te Rapa is the best racing surface in the country & now they are upgrading the facilities in the entire grandstand its turning into a great venue to attend.

Good to hear. Might see you there Saturday. Hope they've got the heating working in the new stand. Last couple of times I was there I nearly froze to death!

Be lucky if I go, I have been fucking struck down with RSV, never had anything this bad in my life.

Takes me an hour to walk along the hallway & as you can imagine I have had a number of accidents, now operating a makeshift nappy.

• Sad 1