The Race Place

All Blacks team

pete

Copied from allblacks.com

The 32-strong Steinlager Ultra Low Carb Series squad is as follows: (age, Super Rugby club, province, Test caps)

* denotes new cap

Forwards (18)

Hookers
Asafo Aumua (27 / Hurricanes / Wellington / 6)
Codie Taylor (33 / Crusaders / Canterbury / 85)
George Bell* (22 / Crusaders / Canterbury / 0)

Props
Ethan De Groot (25 / Highlanders / Southland / 22)
Tyrel Lomax (28 / Hurricanes / Tasman / 32)
Fletcher Newell (24 / Crusaders / Canterbury / 13)
Pasilio Tosi* (25 / Hurricanes / Bay of Plenty / 0)
Ofa Tu’ungafasi (32 / Blues / Northland / 57)
Tamaiti Williams (23 / Crusaders / Canterbury / 7)

Locks
Scott Barrett (30 / Crusaders / Taranaki / 69) (Captain)
Tupou Vaa’i (24 / Chiefs / Taranaki / 25)

Patrick Tuipulotu (31 / Blues / Auckland / 43)

Loose Forwards
Ethan Blackadder (29 / Crusaders / Tasman / 10)
Samipeni Finau (25 / Chiefs / Waikato / 1)
Luke Jacobson (27 / Chiefs / Waikato / 18)
Dalton Papali’i (26 / Blues / Counties Manukau / 32)
Ardie Savea (30 / Hurricanes / Wellington / 81) (Vice Captain)

Wallace Sititi* (21 / Chiefs / North Harbour / 0)

Backs (14)

Halfbacks
Finlay Christie (28 / Blues / Tasman / 21)
TJ Perenara (32 / Hurricanes / Wellington / 80)
Cortez Ratima* (23 / Chiefs / Waikato / 0)

First five-eighths
Beauden Barrett (33 / Blues / Taranaki / 123)
Damian McKenzie (29 / Chiefs / Waikato / 47)

Mid-fielders
Jordie Barrett (27 / Hurricanes / Taranaki / 57) (Vice Captain)
Rieko Ioane (27 / Blues / Auckland / 67)

Anton Lienert-Brown (29 / Chiefs / Waikato / 70)
Billy Proctor* (25 / Hurricanes / Wellington / 0)

Outside backs
Caleb Clarke (25 / Blues / Auckland / 20)
Emoni Narawa (24 / Chiefs / Bay of Plenty / 1)
Stephen Perofeta (27 / Blues / Taranaki / 3)
Sevu Reece (27 / Crusaders / Southland / 23)

Mark Tele’a (27 / Blues / North Harbour/ 9)

The following players were not considered due to injury: Sam Cane, Will Jordan, Samisoni Taukei’aho, Cam Roigard.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, pete said:

Pretty stunned Sotutu missed out.

He made way for Wallace I think, which I can understand, Wallace is an exciting player and he's flexi between flanker and no. 8, and I think he will gel well with Savea.  Against England, personally I would have opted for Sotutu over Blackadder.

• Like 1

I thought Dame Patsy Reddy had indicated she would stand down if the vote went against her.

Most of the nation must be looking forward how the teams play under Scott Robertson.......no pressure

I've never been a Robertson fan, as I've always felt it was the players that made him rather than the other way round, but I'm hopeful that's not actually the case and we enter a  successful period for the AB's - in saying that though he has a very good team of players and knowing his luck they'll carry him again ..  😏.     I just hope they retain that humility and respectfulness in the way they address the press, the fans at the ground and the airports, and also the other teams.   That has stood out to me a lot through the last three coaches, and their instilling of that message to the players, and how fantastic the ABs have been in social and media situations and I think that takes a team a long way in how they're perceived globally.

Interesting, he seems to be a polarising character, particularly amongst women.  The women I mix with, either think he is great or they, like you, find him a bit false, no middle ground.

I think his inherent Canterbury bias may cause him to come unstuck.

Personally I think he's a bit of a show pony but prepared to give him a chance to prove himself at international level.

1 hour ago, pete said:

Personally I think he's a bit of a show pony

What ?, because he doesnt fit the usual profile of an All Black coach, and is somewhat outside the square .Tall poppy syndrome methinks, or tunnel vision.  He loves surfing, although his body has reduced him to paddle boarding, breakdancing as a celebration after winning games, has an infectious love of the game and can motivate players . As head coach at Canterbury he also coached the under twentys to a World title . Give the guy a break, the game needs someone like him instead of those past poker faced ,laconic, flat liner, coaches with all the personality traits of a goldfish on valium. 

13 minutes ago, Globederby19 said:

What ?, because he doesnt fit the usual profile of an All Black coach, and is somewhat outside the square .Tall poppy syndrome methinks, or tunnel vision.  He loves surfing, although his body has reduced him to paddle boarding, breakdancing as a celebration after winning games, has an infectious love of the game and can motivate players . As head coach at Canterbury he also coached the under twentys to a World title . Give the guy a break, the game needs someone like him instead of those past poker faced ,laconic, flat liner, coaches with all the personality traits of a goldfish on valium. 

We shall see Rees. It's only my opinion and, as my wife likes to remind me, I'm usually wrong.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Globederby19 said:

I think that pretty much sums him up Rees.  You're not referring to Fozzie by any chance when you talk about a goldfish on valium are you lol

Scott Barrett is going to have to lift his self-discipline now that he's All Blacks' Captain.
His record for attracting yellow/red cards is disturbing.
We (NZ) lost the last World Cup because the misconduct of our Captain of the time saw him on the bench and the team reduced to 14 players for most of the Final.
14 versus 15 only has one outcome.
We don't want a repeat in All Blacks tests coming up.

6 minutes ago, Howard Atkinson said:

Scott Barrett is going to have to lift his self-discipline now that he's All Blacks' Captain.
His record for attracting yellow/red cards is disturbing.
We (NZ) lost the last World Cup because the misconduct of our Captain of the time saw him on the bench and the team reduced to 14 players for most of the Final.
14 versus 15 only has one outcome.
We don't want a repeat in All Blacks tests coming up.

I was thinking the same Howie. It seems to have gone completely unmentioned in the media.

51 minutes ago, Globederby19 said:

Personally I prefer the Vern Cotter profile. It's a winning mindset without all the fluff.

2 hours ago, pete said:

Personally I prefer the Vern Cotter profile. It's a winning mindset without all the fluff.

I like what I see of Vern Cotter, totally different style to Scott Robertson. If Robertson falters and Cotter keeps up his stunning success and style of play with the Blues, then he becomes a serious contender 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, ngakonui grass said:

My interest in rugger wanes year on year so how they perform doesn't worry me as much as it once did in fact doesn't worry me at all.

I am glad I am not the only one that thinks that.
I switched off at half time on the Blues / Chiefs game before I fell asleep in the chair. Pick and go followed by yet another pick and go..
The game these days bares no resemblance to what I played. The players crawl through school in "rugby academies" these days, where as the Auckland teams of the 80s had lawyers, accountants and doctors etc. The coach these days has to run on at half time and point them in the other direction. I have as much in common with today's players as I do the Outer Mongolian under 15 soccer team.
The Grant Fox, Terry Wright and Christian Cullens of the world would make no impact these days as there is now a forward (sometimes 2) stationed between each back in the defensive line and it is a case of who can bash their way through. All in the name of player safety... really ??
Scrums... there goes another 5 minutes before the ball even gets put in... under the #8s feet.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Hesi said:

I like what I see of Vern Cotter, totally different style to Scott Robertson. If Robertson falters and Cotter keeps up his stunning success and style of play with the Blues, then he becomes a serious contender 

True, but what if Joe Schmidt does the unthinkable and makes Australia competitive again?   You'd have to say he'd be next in line.  

2 hours ago, JustPlodded said:

I am glad I am not the only one that thinks that.
I switched off at half time on the Blues / Chiefs game before I fell asleep in the chair. Pick and go followed by yet another pick and go..
The game these days bares no resemblance to what I played. The players crawl through school in "rugby academies" these days, where as the Auckland teams of the 80s had lawyers, accountants and doctors etc. The coach these days has to run on at half time and point them in the other direction. I have as much in common with today's players as I do the Outer Mongolian under 15 soccer team.
The Grant Fox, Terry Wright and Christian Cullens of the world would make no impact these days as there is now a forward (sometimes 2) stationed between each back in the defensive line and it is a case of who can bash their way through. All in the name of player safety... really ??
Scrums... there goes another 5 minutes before the ball even gets put in... under the #8s feet.

You clearly were a big fan of Auckland rugby during their 80/90's reign.  Joe Stanley, Bernie Mc Cahill etc etc

• Like 1

Jeez Hesi, who doesn't love the rugby of the 80s and 90s? 🙂    I was living in Wellington then... staunch Hurricanes supporter (still am just quietly)  and Alan Hewson was still playing cricket for Petone in their Senior men's team, Dave Rennie was playing for the Rugby Boy's side at Upper Hutt Cricket Club, we used to invade Athletic Park to watch Stu Wilson and Bernie Fraser churn up the side lines, Tana and Christian used to drop in uninvited on School Galas all over Wellington, it was a great time for sport back in those two decades, not as close and precious as it is now.

• Like 2

Having been at Massey in Palmerston North in the mid 70's, Manawatu had a superb team during that time, and several players came from University A, like Doug Rollerson and Hugo Blair, as everyone mixed in the Fitz and Royal Tavern.

Players like Kent Lambert, John Callesen, Mark Donaldson, Sam Strachan, Kevin Eveleigh, Ken Granger, Mark Shaw, Geoff Old, Gary Knight, they all played for Manawatu

Even Christian Cullen started off at Manawatu, but that was a bit later in the 90's

A few on here from Taranaki might remember Terry Sole who played University A and Manawatu, but more with a racing theme, Carey Hobbs, who got as far as University C, and then went on to run racing in Taranaki for a long while.

17 hours ago, ngakonui grass said:

He wins the Worst haircut of the year and has done for many years.

My interest in rugger wanes year on year so how they perform doesn't worry me as much as it once did in fact doesn't worry me at all.

Me either, in fact I haven’t watched a game this yr & wont be.

It’s time they were renamed NZ Pacifica as well, better reflects where they now are. 

7 hours ago, Hesi said:

Having been at Massey in Palmerston North in the mid 70's, Manawatu had a superb team during that time, and several players came from University A, like Doug Rollerson and Hugo Blair, as everyone mixed in the Fitz and Royal Tavern.

Players like Kent Lambert, John Callesen, Mark Donaldson, Sam Strachan, Kevin Eveleigh, Ken Granger, Mark Shaw, Geoff Old, Gary Knight, they all played for Manawatu

Even Christian Cullen started off at Manawatu, but that was a bit later in the 90's

A few on here from Taranaki might remember Terry Sole who played University A and Manawatu, but more with a racing theme, Carey Hobbs, who got as far as University C, and then went on to run racing in Taranaki for a long while.

It’s called evolution Hesi, professionalism has seen generations of Pacifica kids transition to Union instead of League, the names you mention above would all be playing soccer today or sitting at home with their phones & come from single parent families. No way would they at 7 be allowed to play Rugby in case they melt & have to tackle a giant sized Pacifica kid.

3 hours ago, BarryB said:

Me either, in fact I haven’t watched a game this yr & wont be.

It’s time they were renamed NZ Pacifica as well, better reflects where they now are. 

Waitangi Tribunal might have something to say about that, they are poking their nose in everywhere else