The Race Place

Fonterra

Why could it go tits up.  A shame a few other entities like councils and Govt departments don't focus on their core reason for being.

93% of Fonterra's sales come from the supply of basic raw materials derived from milk.

I presume they are doing it as the other 7% has a disproportionately high amount of cost, a lot more than 7%

19 hours ago, Hesi said:

Why could it go tits up.  A shame a few other entities like councils and Govt departments don't focus on their core reason for being.

93% of Fonterra's sales come from the supply of basic raw materials derived from milk.

I presume they are doing it as the other 7% has a disproportionately high amount of cost, a lot more than 7%

Great point re councils Hesi. Wellington Council does anything but that.

18 minutes ago, JustPlodded said:

As long as the boffins that did the maths are not the same ones that thought it was a good idea to buy those Chinese companies a few years back that ended in getting rid of them at a huge loss.

I understand also, that by being a supplier of the base raw material and a user, it has price implications for the supply price of the raw material which is then subject to controls.  This is removed if they no longer are a user???????

5 minutes ago, Tonkatime said:

Great point re councils Hesi. Wellington Council does anything but that.

Neither do many Govt departments.  NZ Transport Agency (Waka Kotahi), who proposed to have dual street and place names (English and Maori), when the roading infrastructure has so many things that need attending to.  Wrong focus!