The Race Place

Bruce Sherwin

pete

Bruce Sherwin Appointed Interim NZTR Senior Handicapper

Following a global search over the last 2 months, NZTR is yet to attract a suitable candidate to fill the role previously occupied by Neil Jennings as NZTR’s Senior Handicapper.  As an interim measure, NZTR has appointed Bruce Sherwin on a fixed term 3-month contract to fill this vacancy effective today 13th May.

Bruce’s skill set is highly suited to this role, given his extensive experience in relevant handicapping areas. He has overseen NZTR's Handicapping Complaints process since 2013 and has been an integral member of the NZTR Handicapping Review Committee since 2014, assuming the chairmanship in 2022. In 2015, Bruce was appointed to the New Zealand Pattern Committee, and from 2022, he has served as New Zealand's representative to the Asian Pattern Committee. 

The NZTR Board has granted Bruce a leave of absence from the Board to undertake the role of Handicapper. During the 3-month contract period, Bruce will not serve as a director on the NZTR Board.  Any potential conflicts of interest have been identified and will be actively managed to uphold the highest standards of integrity.  

Bruce Sherwin has undertaken that no horse he has an interest in will race during the 3-month contract period as Senior Handicapper, in accordance with Rule 525(3) of the Rules of Racing. Additionally, Bruce will not wager or provide tips related to racing during this time, as mandated by the role.

Finally, NZTR will continue to search globally for a suitable full-time candidate over the next 3 months.    

"search globally" I hope that means combining with an Australian handicapper operating in Australia. I hardly think the job would require massive relocation expenses and salary,. Then again given the level of gravy train passengers already onboard nothing surprises.

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, slam dunk said:

"search globally" I hope that means combining with an Australian handicapper operating in Australia. I hardly think the job would require massive relocation expenses and salary,. Then again given the level of gravy train passengers already onboard nothing surprises.

I just don't see how any experienced handicapper, passionate about that role, would be interested in administering such a flawed system. To make matters worse, they have to relocate to Cambridge. What's not surprising is that they have found no-one suitable, willing to do so.

Edited by curious

12 hours ago, curious said:

image.thumb.png.d84c8cabe2eb3a2bc651483f3b8a79fe.png

People have short memories; I think it is called being shallow, seems to happen a lot over there.  People may recall all the work and research you put into supporting Kevin Morton (Midget) being charged under the rules of racing.

I'm not a Te Akau fan, but if you listen to their Facebook video, they give horses like Imperatriz the full checkover at the end of a campaign, and full credit to them for having such a modus operandi.  X Rays showed wear and tear on the knees and this was the reason cited for not racing the horse any further.

So for a new owner to race the horse, it is a buyer beware situation, that in the event of a major injury and the horse having to be put down, would be a major scandal.

So, I guess the horse being presented as 'Broodmare Only', is a case of full disclosure.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Hesi said:

People have short memories; I think it is called being shallow, seems to happen a lot over there.  People may recall all the work and research you put into supporting Kevin Morton (Midget) being charged under the rules of racing.

I'm not a Te Akau fan, but if you listen to their Facebook video, they give horses like Imperatriz the full checkover at the end of a campaign, and full credit to them for having such a modus operandi.  X Rays showed wear and tear on the knees and this was the reason cited for not racing the horse any further.

So for a new owner to race the horse, it is a buyer beware situation, that in the event of a major injury and the horse having to be put down, would be a major scandal.

So, I guess the horse being presented as 'Broodmare Only', is a case of full disclosure.

Recently retired one because of joint wear and tear. Might be able to hold her together with no great risk though for 2 or 3 more runs. Entirely up to the buyer and their advisors' advice though.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, RJB said:

And yes Leggy for you it does get worse...

Thanks.

You are currently restricted from posting content. This restriction will end on May 18, 2024.

Edited by curious

Posted (edited)

One of the reasons I never returned to that site. 

I got censured for what I said about the guy last time on here. But what I stated was 100% spot on.

He simply is not worth it. 

Edited by mardigras

34 minutes ago, mardigras said:

One of the reasons I never returned to that site. 

I got censured for what I said about the guy last time on here. But what I stated was 100% spot on.

He simply is not worth it. 

Which guy Mardi, Bruce Sherwin??

• Haha 2

I think it is a common thing on social media/chat sites, where people simply get out debated, out thought, out knowledged, so resort to personal stuff.

Moral of the story, know your limitations, which can be a bitter pill to swallow

14 minutes ago, Hesi said:

I think it is a common thing on social media/chat sites, where people simply get out debated, out thought, out knowledged, so resort to personal stuff.

Moral of the story, know your limitations, which can be a bitter pill to swallow

its becuase there are dumb bastards like you on these sites Hesi.

3 minutes ago, mardigras said:

How sad. I guess that is what happens when someone of low intellect can't stand the heat, and feels the need to wield their power.

You should look in the mirror...it may be you that is of low intellect...🥱

Anyone that knows Mardi or knows of him, will know he is anything but low intellect.

He possibly views that as a positive or even a negative sometimes, others may disagree

3 minutes ago, Hesi said:

Anyone that knows Mardi or knows of him, will know he is anything but low intellect.

He possibly views that as a positive or even a negative sometimes, others may disagree

Your view and you are entitled to it...but he makes assumptions of others...yeah right...I think I will stick to my view of him...

If your view of Mardi, is that he is of low intellect, then I'm afraid that is a reflection on your ability to appraise and judge people.

Curious/Leggy is also a very clever guy, not as clever as Mardi, but still very clever

People on these sites quite often misread that as being a know all or smartarse.  I like to open my mind to the knowledge they have.

Barry (even though he gives me a lot of shyte, in jest of course) also can be almost fitted into the same category.  His knowledge on horses and punting has been accepted and respected by quite a few on this site.  You may notice that they almost always back up their opinion with data or a factual reference.

Haha...keep on stirring...I understand you need to tow the party line with the few members you have...keep on enjoying them...cheers.

I have no issue with Barry at all he is a guy who puts his money where his mouth is...unlike some others.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, RJB said:

I have no issue with Barry at all he is a guy who puts his money where his mouth is...unlike some others.

👍

I don't have any issues with Race Cafe at all, some weirdo's there of course, but there are a few here also.

I sometimes even go onto BOAY to look, although the ads for penis enlargement etc get hurtful at times.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4