The Race Place

AWT - why not?

mardigras

Posted (edited)
On 5/6/2024 at 9:18 AM, Freda said:

The asphalt is permeable and water is channeled to drains. The drainage is excellent. 

I've seen a diagram of Kemptons polytrack layer, definitely no tarmac there. The polytrack crosses the turf, the jumpers have to go about a furlong on it.

What sort of membrane layer in lieu of porous asphalt did they use at Kempton?

Edited by curious

1 hour ago, curious said:

What sort of membrane layer in lieu of porous asphalt did they use at Kempton?

Can't answer that, sorry. But the jumpers could not traverse an asphalt layer with kerb and drains.

Posted (edited)
On 5/6/2024 at 9:18 AM, Freda said:

The asphalt is permeable and water is channeled to drains. The drainage is excellent. 

I've seen a diagram of Kemptons polytrack layer, definitely no tarmac there. The polytrack crosses the turf, the jumpers have to go about a furlong on it.

"I refer to your email below.  Kempton has a porous asphalt layer underneath their Polytrack.

We use many different options underneath our Polytrack surfaces globally and porous asphalt is one of the options we use.

Regards

Reid Sanders

Group CEO"

Edited by curious

Posted (edited)
33 minutes ago, Freda said:

Did he explain how it traversed the turf with asphalt and drainage?

I didn't ask but don't see how it would be a problem, at least no more than any other crossing because of the change in surface? The drainage is well below the surface regardless of the membrane used, so presumably that's not a factor. I just double checked because I'd previously been told it was asphalt.

Edited by curious

16 hours ago, curious said:

I didn't ask but don't see how it would be a problem, at least no more than any other crossing because of the change in surface? The drainage is well below the surface regardless of the membrane used, so presumably that's not a factor. I just double checked because I'd previously been told it was asphalt.

Yes, I got a reply from the Kempton guy, he very kindly responded to my query immediately.

So yes, there is asphalt, as stated by Reid Sanders, the sticking point for me was the concrete kerbing - however, there is none at Kempton so that makes sense.

You might think it informative to put up his reply and associated diagrams, I don't know how.  Someone might educate me about that sometime.

• Like 1

Hope all well in the Southern Hemisphere and sorry for late reply; was sending someone off to Heaven.

Your English lad is completely incorrect and please find attached cross sections of the AW track/Jump track interface at Kempton Park.

Yes, we do traverse across the AW track for jump racing, but there are no concrete edgings and there are underground drainage channels set at 5m apart.

We opened in 2006 and have not had a problem with jumpers going across the AW track in all those years.

We do however take regular depth checks to ensure the track depth is a constant 200mm deep.

Best wishes

Barney

• Like 2