The Race Place

The Fourth Estate

Hesi

Does anybody else get fed up with all the bleating in the press, by the press about the recent cuts to Newsroom and TV1.  

They brought about their own downfall, do they not realise that by not adapting and therefore losing advertising revenue.  The Public Interest Journalism Fund fiasco didn't help either

• Like 2

On 3/9/2024 at 9:32 AM, Hesi said:

Does anybody else get fed up with all the bleating in the press, by the press about the recent cuts to Newsroom and TV1.  

They brought about their own downfall, do they not realise that by not adapting and therefore losing advertising revenue.  The Public Interest Journalism Fund fiasco didn't help either

Similar in many ways to the racing industry. The bleating will be much more if the government benefit dries up.

The Racing industry has done nothing in itself to change their revenue streams - outside of getting the government to find a way to fund them more through alternative streams.

We used to watch the 6 o’clock news every night since… forever. 
I can’t remember the actual night, I think it was sometime in one of the covid lockdowns, that I said to my wife “why are we watching this rubbish”.
We switched to Newshub for a couple of days. Same message, different reporters.
Then no more news at 6.
I will watch it one more time in the future, the night Simon Dallow announces their final news broadcast, in Te Reo of course.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Our 6pm prise news spots are a joke, stopped watching them over 5 years ago in favour of Netflix and Sky Sport

Love my trips to Aussie watching their morning Sunrise programme which is stunning but more so their newsprint which is outstanding SMH, The Age and Herald Sun and I buy the 3 each day and often The Australian too. Superb newspapers

The online media is killing TV news and news print yet against the tide Aussie newsprint remains very strong 

Go to the Herald Sun for The Form their racing supplement, 24 pages on a Friday with emphasis Mlb of course, download it every week as a subscriber and wonderful tipsheet

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Hesi said:

Does anyone know who was behind the establishment of The Public Interest Journalism Fund, was it Kris Faafoi?

He was a former media man turned politician

For those interested in what the Public Interest Journalism Fund is all about, this podcast explains it all.

But in a nutshell, it says that you must sign a contract that says you will meet Waitangi Treaty obligations to Maori, or you won't get any funding from NZ On Air, who administer the fund

I have no objection to the Maori language being developed and used by those that want to in everyday life.

But I object to the surreptitious way it has tried to be hoisted on everyone.  In the end it has done more harm than good, and as Maxi says, many in the public have turned off, because the focus is wrong.

They have brought about their own downfall, sort of an unintended consequence.

If you look at the NZ Metservice site, all the names of towns and cities are in English, or what we know them by.  If you hold the cursor over each name, the Maori name appears.  Now that type of approach is far more conducive to people learning more about Maori and their language.

• Like 1

In fairness to the debate, TVNZ and Newshub also did not adapt to the changing market.  Too busy being culturally correct

It has happened in other Govt departments, most notably NZ Transport Agency (Waka Kotahi).  While we have major traffic congestion in Auckland and potholes across the country, they were proposing to have bi-lingual road signs across the country.

News at 6 has gone from a staple in many people's lives, to a dinosaur.  God forbid though, that people replace it with other social media type sites/sources, many that have zero credibility and alternative motives to accurate and impartial news reporting

1 hour ago, Hesi said:

I have no objection to the Maori language being developed and used by those that want to in everyday life.

But I object to the surreptitious way it has tried to be hoisted on everyone.  In the end it has done more harm than good, and as Maxi says, many in the public have turned off, because the focus is wrong.

They have brought about their own downfall, sort of an unintended consequence.

If you look at the NZ Metservice site, all the names of towns and cities are in English, or what we know them by.  If you hold the cursor over each name, the Maori name appears.  Now that type of approach is far more conducive to people learning more about Maori and their language.

Contrast that with a job application form I saw from the ANZ.

All the sections had the Maori name first. Just virtue signaling.

I was somewhat bemused when we went overseas to note that my passport, being older, had English names first. Barb's newer passport was the other way around.

Like you it's the sneaky way they do this stuff that really bugs me.

I can understand why it is happening in the press, as has been discussed above, and Govt departments, but why so many large organisations.

I got an email from ANZ this morning, greeting and sign off all, and only in Maori.

I feel like replying, WTF!

By all means Maori greetings, it is an official language, but please English greetings first with Maori underneath, and that way round

I think it is virtue signaling and also a perceived marketing benefit, that they as a company will be viewed as a more sensitive and caring organisation.  Probably the reason they do it

1 hour ago, brown fox said:

Bob Jones is back to provide a little sanity

https://nopunchespulled.com/2024/03/14/elections-azerbaijan-style/

His blogs are a must read, often very left field but always delivering sanity to the crazy world we live in

I share Bob’s thoughts on the loss of newsprint and the shocking journalism delivered … sadly NZ deservedly win the gold medal. I subscribe to 3 in Aussie but would give you zip to any here as bad as they are