The Race Place

Election 2023 ????

Hesi

1 hour ago, Freda said:

You imply that folk should, instead, stay here and sink without complaint.

I applaud the move taken by many, if they feel that their careers/lifestyle would improve as a result.

I'd be off like a shot if I was younger, had some mana with which to attract some sort of clientele, and hadn't recently found a family - mother, siblings -  that I had never had contact with when younger.   I am a proud kiwi; I love this country and hope that the coalition govt we now have can put right some of the division within it.

But I don't love the way racing has conducted itself for the past 20-odd years, and as alluded elsewhere, throwing money at it as Entain is doing, is great if you can get a slice of it.  But that largesse is finite, and I fail to see how the punter will be convinced to bet more because of it.    Maybe there might be a slight improvement in field sizes as owners defer 'getting out' for now, but the matters that frustrate stakeholders such as dates, programming, etc, don't improve and the favoured few [ Auckland ] can't uphold a viable, country-wide industry, I don't think.

I'm implying the NZ racing stakeholders should support NZ racing.  Remembering that with the Etain deal stake money was able to be boosted from 50 to 70 mil.  No Entain deal and there would have been a 25% reduction in payout to the codes, so thoroughbred would have gone down to about 35-40 mil and then the chorus of bleating would have been deafening

6 minutes ago, Hesi said:

FFS get over it, they are trying to rectify it now.  Close the whole industry down, that is the only thing that will make people like you happy.

Yep. Because as a tax payer, I'm paying out for something not needed. They continuing with trying to rectify it, by using revenue from alternate sources to prop it up. What part of this are you not getting?

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

7 minutes ago, Hesi said:

I'm implying the NZ racing stakeholders should support NZ racing.  Remembering that with the Etain deal stake money was able to be boosted from 50 to 70 mil.  No Entain deal and there would have been a 25% reduction in payout to the codes, so thoroughbred would have gone down to about 35-40 mil and then the chorus of bleating would have been deafening

The gallops stake money should be down to about 10 - 15 million. That's the level where interest lies in the sport. Race for that, be self sustainable with that. And then try and grow their revenue.

If you owned a chain of 500 restaurants with over 4000 staff. And every one of your restaurants was losing money.

Do you think it is a good idea for all the government revenue received from all the profitable restaurants, to be handed out to you, to pay you millions of dollars so you can keep paying your staff and keep your restaurants going?

Because that is essentially what is happening with NZ Racing. And you clearly support that. If it was an industry you didn't support, and the government did that, would you approve?

Edited by mardigras
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Maximus said:

my thoughts exactly ng ...the Coalition is being criticised already for things they have been given a mandate to do. Some journos don't know how to be objective, either. Their bias is obvious.

MM

Don't push the bias aspect too much, 2 of the highest profile talkback hosts and totally biased towards the right

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Hesi said:

Wait for five years, when Entain goes back to a 50/0 split with TAB and the chorus might be deafening indeed.

As for we southerners, the 'improvement' of which you speak is remote at best.     Trying to rectify things?  Just doing more of the same, for the same result, it seems to me.

5 hours ago, mardigras said:

The gallops stake money should be down to about 10 - 15 million. That's the level where interest lies in the sport. Race for that, be self sustainable with that. And then try and grow their revenue.

If you owned a chain of 500 restaurants with over 4000 staff. And every one of your restaurants was losing money.

Do you think it is a good idea for all the government revenue received from all the profitable restaurants, to be handed out to you, to pay you millions of dollars so you can keep paying your staff and keep your restaurants going?

Because that is essentially what is happening with NZ Racing. And you clearly support that. If it was an industry you didn't support, and the government did that, would you approve?

A spot on comment from the MV CEO.

• Urged Racing Victoria to look at the current racing model, including the number of races, the distribution of funds to clubs while “prizemoney in Victoria needs to reflect the wagering landscape”.

2 hours ago, Freda said:

Wait for five years, when Entain goes back to a 50/0 split with TAB and the chorus might be deafening indeed.

As for we southerners, the 'improvement' of which you speak is remote at best.     Trying to rectify things?  Just doing more of the same, for the same result, it seems to me.

You've just had an awesome 3 day carnival with 3.5 mil up for grabs, a 12% increase on last year

8 hours ago, ngakonui grass said:

Heard tvone political reporter,Mikey Sherman

You listen to TV One ?. shame on you NG 🤣. We had hundreds parading up the main st in Masterton, and one good reason to see Australia as an option with this bullshit starting up again. 

The world will tell you that the dominating influence in your life is your past. If your culture was treated unfairly that will dictate the condition of your life today. Maoridom will forever be struggling with their past, focussing on what they are overcoming instead of what they can become. Ever figured out why the rear view mirror is smaller than the windscreen. Because its safer to know where you are going not where you have been. 1840,FFS get over it. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Hesi said:

You've just had an awesome 3 day carnival with 3.5 mil up for grabs, a 12% increase on last year

Yes, thanks to Entain.  And don't forget the wee sweetener from the Trustees for the Guineas races.  Not to NZ racing's increased appeal generating more betting revenue.